Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2018, 06:34:01 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Hi to all,
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hi to all,  (Read 3668 times)
LittleWings
Regular

Boat Type: Antilla30'

« on: January 27, 2015, 12:30:24 pm »

Hi to all,
 i am new to this forum and this is my first post.
Used to do a lot of dinghy sailing in the past, and now after a long period of no money, studies, other interests, kids and so forth, i have begun to start looking for a small yacht.
No haste since i live in Berlin at the moment. (Wannsee is not too interesting and Kiel would take about 4 hours...)
Looking at S&S34 but i do not think i could afford it so im checking out on contessa32 seackracker33 Pionier10 and S&S31 either by IW or South Hants.
I think the IW's are more pretty but i read a rumour somewhere that the She's would be a sturdier build.
So apart from if anybody has already investigated on the difference between them i do not have any questions yet...
I will just read around for a while :)
Cheers!
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 07:29:22 am »

When you consider what you can you afford, are you speaking of the expense of docking, storage, maintenance etc,or the purchase price of the yacht itself. In the US at least, the latter usually proves to be the least significant. From the boats you mentioned, you are an admirer of a certain style and vintage. They would also be in my own 'hall of fame'. 
Just so you remember they were all built more than 30 years ago and usually require a lot more attention than more recent models. 
I say this partly, as an owner of a boat, only slightly newer.
For me,  keeping up with things can sometimes  be a chore.  So I often don't and resort to duct tape whenever possible.

rb   
LittleWings
Regular

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 06:43:55 am »

Hi R...,
 thanks for the reply!
I am concidering all expenses but since the berthing and so on is dependent on where one is and since it is likely that we will be somewhere else in a yaer and a half i am at the moment concentrating on the purchase price of the yacht. In Amsterdam for exemple one could moore it at any free place within the city for about 800-900euros/year or 250 even if one puts an electric motor like some contessas have.

Although i must confess loving classic S&S lines it might turn out that i will buy something completely different.
That is why i am here: learning from and exploiting expertise from others.
The boats i mentioned are my ¨starting point¨ because they seem to be a common choice among shorthanded sailors.

Cheers, LW

sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 10:04:49 am »

Obviously you know exactly what you are doing and any advice I could provide would be meaningless.

What a great deal you have in Amsterdam.  You are ahead of us in so many ways.  Just started riding by bicycle 2 weeks ago, (and almost got run over a few times).

Cheers.
Randy Browning
USA
sailboatdata.com
LittleWings
Regular

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 09:24:50 am »

Hi Randy, thank you for the reply. Being only at the very beginning from the quest for the right vessel i think one can never get too many good tips :)

Anyway: purchase price is easy, docking and storage is dependent on site. Unfortunately i no longer live in Amsterdam but in Berlin.

I willl however have to figure out a way to calculate maintenance. We never spend a fortune on it but we only sailed tiny boats in a lakelike environment, on the Northsea i am sure it would be a different story.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 12:38:00 pm »

The only thing I can say:

If you are reasonably handy and have the initiative to do some the maintenance task yourself, the savings can be immense.
rb
LittleWings
Regular

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 01:53:13 am »

Thanks Randy,
 i always did so far  ;D but i never made a sail or have had to build an engine.

How much sense does it make anyway to purchase a 30year+ plastic vessel.
Even some of the very first ones are still going strong but on the other hand i read one might encounter problems finding insurance because of the hulls getting brittle...

And how about foam decks? Even if it is surveyed exelent, how likely is it it will delaminate afterwards and become a money guzzler?
Cheers
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 02:04:54 am by LittleWings » Logged
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 09:52:15 am »

How long will a laminate last? (polyester in the case) A question for people with more expertise.  But a very long time I would imagine.  Enemy is water, UV, and to a lesser extent, fatigue. You rarely hear about a laminate just failing.  It usually in relation to fasteners or a bond with another material such as wood.
I went sailing 2 years ago on Dinghy that was actually molded in the 1950's. Since it had been painted a thousand times, it didn't  LOOK great.  but it didn't leak at drop.

rb
LittleWings
Regular

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 12:27:05 pm »

Hi to all,
 any ideas about where i could find the Portsmouth Number for S&S 34, i found a list here but she does not seem to be listed.

A different list rates both UFO34 and S&S34 103 ...

Do you know of a more comprehensive list of AVS values than this one?

Thank you, Cheers!

seacracker33, Pionier10, and S&S 31 fell off my list,
UFO 34, 33 Wauquiez Gladiateur, She-33, 33 Brolga are new
S&S 34, contessa32 still there
LittleWings
Regular

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 09:02:41 am »

UFO 34, 33 Wauquiez Gladiateur, She-33, 33 Brolga are new
S&S 34, contessa32 still there
yes, i know it has been a while  ;) but i bought a boat.

She is an Antilla (S&S30') built in Finland  8)

We sailed her from Turku to the Netherlands.

(both pics do not work?)

She is mentioned @ S&S 6.6 with the same hull design except without the trim tab.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 05:14:50 am by LittleWings » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length