Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2016, 02:59:23 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  Information Wanted
| | |-+  Westwind 42 Thoughts?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Westwind 42 Thoughts?  (Read 2058 times)
Rippins
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Westwind 42

« on: May 30, 2011, 08:47:47 am »

My husband and I have found a Westwind 42 that we would like to purchase and live aboard.
Obviously we fell in love with the lines first and then the spaciousness next.
Does anyone know anything about this boat? We know it was made in Taiwan and then sold through Texas. Does anyone know of any glaring problems with it and what type of cord the fiberglass was assembled with? How does it sail. Does it travel windward without too much of a battle?
Thank you,
J & N
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 09:57:06 am »

My husband and I have found a Westwind 42 that we would like to purchase and live aboard.
Obviously we fell in love with the lines first and then the spaciousness next.
Does anyone know anything about this boat? We know it was made in Taiwan and then sold through Texas. Does anyone know of any glaring problems with it and what type of cord the fiberglass was assembled with? How does it sail. Does it travel windward without too much of a battle?
Thank you,
J & N
Haven't heard any major complaints about these boats. 
I believe this is the same, or nearly the same, as the VAGABOND 42 by Stadel. There were 3 Stadels. The father and 2 sons.  One of the sons, George Stadel III actually lived in the Far East for a time. I do know that he personally supervised the contruction of many of the boats that they designed.  Obviously I can't say for sure that this was the case for this particular boat. Unfortunately I can't even tell you the name of the yard where this particular model was built.
I would also suggest posting you inquiry at cruisersforum.com , as well as boatdesign.net . A lot of experts that might know more.  If you do manage to discover the yard that built it, I would like to know myself. On the other hand we can't assume that all Westwinds, or all Vagabonds were built at the same yard. The history of Far East Yacht building during this period is quite murky.

Best of luck.

Regards,
Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length