Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2016, 08:29:03 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  Announcements
| | |-+  Sailingjoy.com - the latest plagiarists
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sailingjoy.com - the latest plagiarists  (Read 2694 times)
sonosail
Administrator

« on: June 16, 2011, 02:12:22 pm »

Check this out: http://www.sailingjoy.com/sailboat_specs/index
You just have to wonder how they justify this to themselves.
Here's their response after I left a message on their 'contact' page:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

The sailing specifications section of Sailingjoy.com is employing a custom spider that queries the google cache and re-indexes data related to sailboats, specifications and pictures. We try to cross check the data between as many sources as possible before updating the index. We also check the terms of use to make sure that there isn't any material that is copyright to the site that we indexed the data from.

We are more than willing to list you as a contributing site, and put a link to your site from ours.

Regards,
—SailingJoy.com
------------------------
And here's my reply:
--------------------------------------
Thanks for for getting back to me.

Although I'm amazed that you are claiming that this 'custom spider' created your entire sailboat spec section.
I won't comment on that. It doesn't really matter WHO, or WHAT did it.
It ALL came from my site! Every last detail.
How GENEROUS of you to offer to add a  link as 'contributor' to your site!  As though I have willingly 'contributed' something.

AlI the same, I WANT to assume that you guys, whoever you are, have a sense of fairness and integrity.
If you were in my position, how would you feel? This is stuff that has taken me a number of years to put together.
It also provides a small amount of advertising income for me.

A few other things I would like to point out.
Your site will never provide the level of information that mine does, with my extra comments, drawings, photos and internal as well as external links. (Of course, I suppose you could copy this also.)
AND, information you DO have, despite the 'custom spider' will, very quickly be out of date since my site it being contantly updated and added to. Don't believe the 'custom spider' will retrieve it in a timely manner.
From what I see, your site has a lot to offer.   
And if  you wanted to provide your users with the best, most up to date, comprehensive information about sailing craft, of all types, from around the world, you would simply provide a link to sailboatdata.com. And being a very reasonable person, I'm willing to come to some agreement where the benefits can be shared. There is usually a way out of these situations before anyone needs to resort to the ugly stuff.

Regards,
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT USA
sailboatdata.com

« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 02:17:12 pm by sonosail » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length