Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2016, 08:28:32 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  Information Wanted
| | |-+  Unknown boat
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unknown boat  (Read 2322 times)
RicJ
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: FJ?

« on: July 02, 2011, 02:01:58 pm »

I own a small boat that I have assumed was an early FJ, but am not sure. It is plywood over mahogany ribs with mahogany transom. The overall length is 13'6", beam is 5'2", and mast is Douglas fir with a height of 18'4" above deck. Sail markings are J 527. Also, it has a fixed keel with lead ballast, which may have been added.  Any ideas as to what it is?
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 05:25:55 am »

I own a small boat that I have assumed was an early FJ, but am not sure. It is plywood over mahogany ribs with mahogany transom. The overall length is 13'6", beam is 5'2", and mast is Douglas fir with a height of 18'4" above deck. Sail markings are J 527. Also, it has a fixed keel with lead ballast, which may have been added.  Any ideas as to what it is?
Do you have any pictures?

rb
RicJ
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: FJ?

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 08:47:21 pm »

I do, but it will take some time to find them. It looks very much like the early FJ's, but has a fixed keel. I've tried to find specs on the early FJ's but have had no luck. The later ones are glass and have softer chines. Being plywood, it has a single hard chine. I found a mention that the masts were lengthened to 25', but from what? And, of course, there is only a "J" on the sail, not an "FJ". 
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 11:50:20 am »

Without a picture I can't really tell you much. Other than the fact that there is boat called a 'Blue Jay', very popular trainer, but mostly on the east coast USA. It has a single 'J' insignia. It is 13.5' feet long. Single chine, but with a centerboard. Most boats were plywood.  FG version intruduced in the late 1970's.  It never had a keel.
I suppose someone could have added one. I know quite a bit about this particular class since I had one as a kid. No idea why someone would want to add a keel, but stranger things have happened.

rb
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length