Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 09, 2016, 06:07:55 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  What is it? (Mystery Sailboat model)
| | |-+  14' prindle monohull???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 14' prindle monohull???  (Read 2920 times)
prindle monohull?
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: prindle nomad14, hobie 18

« on: July 10, 2011, 12:15:54 pm »

i have an old prindle nomad 14 i rescued from the dump. i can't find any info on this boat other then the paperwork that was in it(setup manual). as far as the internet is concerned the boat doesn't exist. i found some info about prindle and o'day doing some stuff togeather then i guess it turned ugly resulting in a lawsuit. i also found info about an o'day nomad 16, but thats the closest thing i found.
    i made new sails for it copying my hobiecats desing, and got a case of speed greed so they are alittle big ;P this boat is quite a handfull and takes 2 people to sail in heavy wind. it is also the only sailboat iv'e ever used that can sustain a constant plain at speed.....fun fun ;D does anybody know anything about this boat, or know of any sites with info? am i sitting on some rare valuable peice of sailing history, or just an obscure boat that i cant find parts for? either way it's the best dump treasure iv'e ever found. who ever threw it out obviously din't know what fiberglass resin, and spray paint was. it took me an hour to fix the hull.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 08:33:12 am »

i have an old prindle nomad 14 i rescued from the dump. i can't find any info on this boat other then the paperwork that was in it(setup manual). as far as the internet is concerned the boat doesn't exist. i found some info about prindle and o'day doing some stuff togeather then i guess it turned ugly resulting in a lawsuit. i also found info about an o'day nomad 16, but thats the closest thing i found.
    i made new sails for it copying my hobiecats desing, and got a case of speed greed so they are alittle big ;P this boat is quite a handfull and takes 2 people to sail in heavy wind. it is also the only sailboat iv'e ever used that can sustain a constant plain at speed.....fun fun ;D does anybody know anything about this boat, or know of any sites with info? am i sitting on some rare valuable peice of sailing history, or just an obscure boat that i cant find parts for? either way it's the best dump treasure iv'e ever found. who ever threw it out obviously din't know what fiberglass resin, and spray paint was. it took me an hour to fix the hull.
Don't know about valuable, (could be), but it is rare. I don't THINK it was ever sold by O'Day, but I could be wrong. There was a lot of coporate buying and selling of boat companies during this period.
I think it may have hit the market at exactly the wrong time. It was the early 1980's when 90% of all smaller boat manufacturers went bust. There was the oil embargo, the price of resins went up 1000% and all kinds of other ugly things going on. So it's sailing and build quality probably had nothing to do with it's lack of popularity.
I'm hoping you can post a picture of it.
Does it look like this:
prindle monohull?
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: prindle nomad14, hobie 18

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 04:13:33 pm »

yup that's her. i'll post pics as soon as shes presentable. (dyeing the sails. they were red,now pink, soon to be black)
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 06:35:57 am »

yup that's her. i'll post pics as soon as shes presentable. (dyeing the sails. they were red,now pink, soon to be black)

Be careful. I'm not sure how easy it is to effectively dye dacron, or what might happen to properties of the material in the process.
rb
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length