Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2016, 05:03:02 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  New Information, Corrections, Omissions etc.
| | |-+  Bristol 35 Design
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bristol 35 Design  (Read 3976 times)
snurrbart
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Bristol 35

« on: July 21, 2011, 12:43:37 pm »

You might be interested in a recent email from Mr. Niels Hellenberg, John Alden Design/ NHYD, LLD in response to my enquiry about the design of the Bristol 35, normally attributed to John Alden, or John Alden associates.

Re: The Bristol 35, JGA design # 1000

" the lines were drawn by Cliff Swain, who started working for John Alden in 1922, the same year that John Alden put his last signature on a drawing drafted by him. John Alden by then had a very talented group of designers working for him and he spent most of his time drumming up business, which he was also very good at".

The boat was introduced in 1966 at which point Clifford P Swain would have had at least 44 years in the trade, having worked with many of the best designers in the industry, many of whom became independent and well known in their own right. It would be nice to see him accredited as the designer for this data entry in addition to Alden, given this sourcing. 

sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 02:20:12 pm »

You might be interested in a recent email from Mr. Niels Hellenberg, John Alden Design/ NHYD, LLD in response to my enquiry about the design of the Bristol 35, normally attributed to John Alden, or John Alden associates.

Re: The Bristol 35, JGA design # 1000

" the lines were drawn by Cliff Swain, who started working for John Alden in 1922, the same year that John Alden put his last signature on a drawing drafted by him. John Alden by then had a very talented group of designers working for him and he spent most of his time drumming up business, which he was also very good at".

The boat was introduced in 1966 at which point Clifford P Swain would have had at least 44 years in the trade, having worked with many of the best designers in the industry, many of whom became independent and well known in their own right. It would be nice to see him accredited as the designer for this data entry in addition to Alden, given this sourcing.

Thanks so much. These are the types of notes/corrections/contributions that I most appreciate.
Certainly Clifford Swain will be added for Britol 35. If I knew any more about the man, I would add a designer record.  Let me know if it's ok if I include part of this as a quote, with attribution.

Regards,
Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 03:43:44 pm »

Unfortunately, my John Alden book leaves off before this date. But you would thing that Mr. Swain would be mentioned in it somewhere if he joined the firm in 1922.  Have to see.
rb
sailboatdata.com
snurrbart
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Bristol 35

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 05:47:22 pm »

The Quotation section in the original email was from Mr.Hellenbergs email.
He checked the original Alden drawings in his archive to see who had signed them.

When I searched the web, I found a couple of articles crediting Clifford Swain as the accomodations designer for several of the large Alden designed schooners, so this seemed to be his speciality when on a team. The design team at Alden were all capable of total turn key design of any level project when assigned as individuals.

snurrbart

sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 08:12:33 am »

The Quotation section in the original email was from Mr.Hellenbergs email.
He checked the original Alden drawings in his archive to see who had signed them.

When I searched the web, I found a couple of articles crediting Clifford Swain as the accomodations designer for several of the large Alden designed schooners, so this seemed to be his speciality when on a team. The design team at Alden were all capable of total turn key design of any level project when assigned as individuals.

snurrbart

Yes.  This is still true even at some of the smaller design firms today.
And I know that Carl Alberg drew a number of boats when he worked for for Alden.
I've added his name when I know that this is the case.

rb
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length