Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2016, 12:01:43 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  Information Wanted
| | |-+  Mirror dinghy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mirror dinghy  (Read 2616 times)
davidc
Regular

Boat Type: trintella 29

« on: July 26, 2011, 03:16:27 am »

Anyone know enough about repairs to a mirror dinghy? A friend has one which is in poor order. The ply has delaminated and there is a lot of damage from racing.
He has sentimenal attachment to it- so the financial viability of the repairs is not the issue- just the possibility of repair.
The floor appears to be single skin ply c/w self bailers and all is glued together with seats and buoyancy tanks. Is it possible to re-floor without damaging the over all integrity of the boat?
Cormorant
Member Emeritus

Boat Type: Jout Caprice, Vaurien

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 09:52:14 am »

Gosh, repairing a stich n glue. Yeah, he might be happier just getting the plans and making a new one.  Keeping the sails, mast rigging etc. and just rebuilding the hull, my guess is that he would probably spend just a bit more, but have a better overall end product. But sentimental value-wise, I guess that it is not the same. Reminds me of the quote "The blade has been replaced once and the handle three times, but it is George Washington's axe..."

Yeah, he can do the repair without any problems (all the more true as the forces in play won't be all that large) at all. Just be sure to do the repair correctly. Found a nice page at http://www.storerboatplans.com/Faq/fastrepair.html but you'll find many sites and even books on amazon dedicated to these types of repair.

Will probably be a 4-beer project ;)

I'd rather be sailing
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 12:43:12 pm »

Anyone know enough about repairs to a mirror dinghy? A friend has one which is in poor order. The ply has delaminated and there is a lot of damage from racing.
He has sentimenal attachment to it- so the financial viability of the repairs is not the issue- just the possibility of repair.
The floor appears to be single skin ply c/w self bailers and all is glued together with seats and buoyancy tanks. Is it possible to re-floor without damaging the over all integrity of the boat?
If expense is not an issue, I'm sure you can find a pro somewhere that can fix as new.
Duffin Marine in Belfast I believe still builds new wood Mirrors. You might contact them and see if there is someone they recommend.  I assume you are somewhere in the Brit Isles. As always, detailed photos are very important.
rb 
jidzo
Regular

Boat Type: Jidzo

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 05:07:41 am »

There are many sites that can help you including the mirror owners site.. It would be a simple job to "do it yourself"..Good luck and show those pics please !
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length