Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 08, 2016, 10:42:17 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Jensen Marine RV Division
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jensen Marine RV Division  (Read 3682 times)
Balboa
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Jensen Marine

« on: July 30, 2011, 11:08:38 am »

Does anyone know anyone that worked for Jensen Marine in the early 70's. Jensen Marine built RV's from their RV division in Costa Mesa CA from about 68-74. I have been searching for 15 years for more information. I created http://www.BalboaMotorhome.com many years ago to help gather information with little success. We do have over 30 members across the country that still own and drive them. Any help in finding someone from Jensen during the early 70's would help greatly.
Thanks
Aaron
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 11:57:24 am »

Does anyone know anyone that worked for Jensen Marine in the early 70's. Jensen Marine built RV's from their RV division in Costa Mesa CA from about 68-74. I have been searching for 15 years for more information. I created http://www.BalboaMotorhome.com many years ago to help gather information with little success. We do have over 30 members across the country that still own and drive them. Any help in finding someone from Jensen during the early 70's would help greatly.
Thanks
Aaron

This is really interesting, and thanks for checking in. I guess you are sure that these RV's were produced by a division of Jensen Marine?  My understanding is that Jensen Marine was purchased by Bangor Punta before the dates that  you have given. Which doesn't mean that they weren't built by a subsidiary of Jensen Marine, but , technically, they were a product of Bangor Punta?
Which is the name that should show up on a manufacturers plate? Sorry, don't know how they did it with RVs back then.

rb
Balboa
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 12:33:30 pm »

The Manufacture plate reads, Jensen Marine. I have done years of research and thought that since they were known for their sailboats maybe it would be a better angle for information. Yes Bangor Punta did purchase Jensen Marine, but they still produced boats and RV's under the name Jensen Marine. It is a fiberglass shell RV built on the chassis of Dodge, Ford, & Chevy's. Even my documentation I have that came with my RV from the dealer reads "A Division of Jensen Marine" I have the warranty card that nobody ever mails in :). I am really hoping some one here has ties to Jensen back in the day. I spoke to one of Bill Lapworths surviving children with no luck. Due to the age of these rare RV's we are losing time fast before all history will be lost. Most of the people that worked with them back then are aging or have past away. We have no knowledge of production numbers or anything, just our own comparisons of eaches examples.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 02:30:56 pm »

The Manufacture plate reads, Jensen Marine. I have done years of research and thought that since they were known for their sailboats maybe it would be a better angle for information. Yes Bangor Punta did purchase Jensen Marine, but they still produced boats and RV's under the name Jensen Marine. It is a fiberglass shell RV built on the chassis of Dodge, Ford, & Chevy's. Even my documentation I have that came with my RV from the dealer reads "A Division of Jensen Marine" I have the warranty card that nobody ever mails in :). I am really hoping some one here has ties to Jensen back in the day. I spoke to one of Bill Lapworths surviving children with no luck. Due to the age of these rare RV's we are losing time fast before all history will be lost. Most of the people that worked with them back then are aging or have past away. We have no knowledge of production numbers or anything, just our own comparisons of eaches examples.

We are all in the same boat (or RV). The history of all these companies is slowly being lost.
But specifically, what type of history are you looking for?  Original brochures?  Or, if you were to locate a living person who worked at, or actually ran the RV division, what would ask them?
There was a website that covered the history of Bangor Punta and listed all the products made by it's subsidiaries. (Maybe you have already seen it) Let me see if I can find it.

rb

Balboa
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 04:22:12 pm »

I have seen the Bangor Putna website. They made no mention of the RV's. I would like production years, numbers, changes, options offered. We have a few advertisements that were published. There is just very little info about them. Any help would be great!
Aaron
sunbird10201
Member Emeritus

Boat Type: Sailboat, O'DAY DS II

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 11:50:11 am »

Steve Seals, of SEALS SPARS in California was (I heard?) a former JENSEN Marine worker at the CAL Sailboat factory. The man that might have had info on this question was Roger Jones, but he passed away about 2-3 years ago. He had been very friendly with Jack Jensen and Bill Lapworth while working at the CAL Factory.

Jack Jensen passed away in the early 1980's.

Unfortunately, very little info is avaialble about these older companies........ sad but true! All I can find is info that at least DOES mention Balboa (not to be confused with the Division of Coastal Recreation, ie: Balboa 20, 26, 27 sailboats) as being a part of JENSEN.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 01:00:43 pm »

Very interesting stuff.  Didn't know, for example that Bangor Punts also owned Tyler Boat Co.
Thanks for submitting it.

Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length