Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 03, 2016, 02:37:15 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  Information Wanted
| | |-+  Beetle Sailer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beetle Sailer  (Read 2471 times)
plessard
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Beetle Sailer

« on: August 01, 2011, 10:42:05 am »

I rescued an 8' fiberglass sailing dinghy many years ago and would love to rig it to sail.  It was manufactured by Beetle Boat Co. when they were in New Bedford, MA.  I found a pamphlet on it and it was called a "Beetle Sailer".  I need to make a rudder, get a sail made and get a mast and boom for it but can't find specifications.  Anyone know anything about it?
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 08:24:03 am »

I rescued an 8' fiberglass sailing dinghy many years ago and would love to rig it to sail.  It was manufactured by Beetle Boat Co. when they were in New Bedford, MA.  I found a pamphlet on it and it was called a "Beetle Sailer".  I need to make a rudder, get a sail made and get a mast and boom for it but can't find specifications.  Anyone know anything about it?
Look up Beetle Cat.  There are 2 websites listed on this site that contain a number of contacts that may be able to help you find the information you are looking for. The current builder of the Beetle Cat might be a good place to start. I believe they also build some smaller dinghys that might even be based on the one you own.

rb

rb
plessard
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Beetle Sailer

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 09:35:22 am »

Thanks for the comeback, but there was a split years ago within the company and Beetle Cats are no longer made by the original company.  No records are available from the company.  My only hope is that there are other owners out there who may have information.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 09:00:48 am »

Thanks for the comeback, but there was a split years ago within the company and Beetle Cats are no longer made by the original company.  No records are available from the company.  My only hope is that there are other owners out there who may have information.
What does the flyer say about it?  Do you know what type of rig it originally had?
An approximate year would help.
I'm just surprised that a Beetle archive doesn't somewhere.  They were certainly among the pioneers of plastic boat contruction. (Carl Beetle in in particular, though I know he sold off the boat buildling company in the 1950's.) 
rb
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length