Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2016, 03:30:51 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  New Information, Corrections, Omissions etc.
| | |-+  Is Sea Pearl 21 an L. F. Herreshoff Design?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Sea Pearl 21 an L. F. Herreshoff Design?  (Read 3197 times)
Menock
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: 16' Gemini, Cape Cod Boatbuilding

« on: August 14, 2011, 05:11:02 pm »

I've read Sea Pearl is the L. F. Herreshoff design, Carpenter, tender to the Walrus. I don't believe it. If the sheer looked the same to me, or maybe if I thought the profile matched, I'd believe it.  I think it is just another bogus claim that a Herreshoff designed a production boat.

Menock
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 08:48:02 am »

I've read Sea Pearl is the L. F. Herreshoff design, Carpenter, tender to the Walrus. I don't believe it. If the sheer looked the same to me, or maybe if I thought the profile matched, I'd believe it.  I think it is just another bogus claim that a Herreshoff designed a production boat.

Menock

Not following you completely.  Could you elaborate a bit?
rb
sunbird10201
Member Emeritus

Boat Type: Sailboat, O'DAY DS II

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 03:57:05 pm »

The SEA PEARL 21 is not, per se a "L.F. Herreshoff" design, but is actually BASED on an 18' sailboat that WAS designed by LFH. The explaination is posted on the SEA PEARL 21 web site (google Marine Concepts or Sea Pearl 21). I just looked at that site yesterday.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 04:06:23 pm »

The SEA PEARL 21 is not, per se a "L.F. Herreshoff" design, but is actually BASED on an 18' sailboat that WAS designed by LFH. The explaination is posted on the SEA PEARL 21 web site (google Marine Concepts or Sea Pearl 21). I just looked at that site yesterday.
Yes.
I may not have made this clear enough on my record for the Sea Pearl 21. I will look at the site you have suggested.

Thanks very much.

Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
sunbird10201
Member Emeritus

Boat Type: Sailboat, O'DAY DS II

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 11:17:16 am »

Actually, Randy, I was answering the person who disputed your labeling the Sea Pearl a LFH design, more or less defending your crediting LFH as the designer. The Sea Pearl is a stretched version of the tender from the WALRUS, with a modified bow and raised sheerline (If I recall Marine Concept's description). So, maybe not a "true" LFH design, but certainly BASED on his design.
Menock
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: 16' Gemini, Cape Cod Boatbuilding

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 05:29:32 pm »

To say that the Sea Pearl is based on Carpenter by LFH is bull. The designs are not close.  Look at these pictures on Flickr of the Carpenter built by the Northwest School of Boatbuilding and compare them to the Sea Pearl. The world is full of boats which are claimed to be Herreshoff designs by their owners, but rarely by the builder.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nwswb/sets/72157612983006964/show/

This site should remove the Sea Pearl from designs of LFH. It is an insult to the man. He did not design the boat. You might as well say that any 18' double ender with a plank keel or narrow flat bottom and a sailing rig was designed by LFH. Does the Sea Pearl even have a flat bottom? Ron Johnson designed the Sea Pearl.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 05:52:39 pm by Menock » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length