Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2016, 10:04:06 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  New Information, Corrections, Omissions etc.
| | |-+  Saga 35, 43,48
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Saga 35, 43,48  (Read 1936 times)
Adelie
Member Emeritus

Boat Type: Dread Pirate ship RADIO FLYER

Ahrrrrrr!!!!

« on: November 10, 2011, 03:25:21 pm »

Saga 35 http://www.sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=3030 Ballast of 7800lb doesn't seem right on a boat of 12,810.  7800 ballast is the same as the Saga 43.

Saga 43 and 48 are listed as sloops which seems accurate in one sense since only one headsail ever flys, but seems inadequate since the both have two headstays, 1 to bow and 1 to sprit.  Perhaps a classification of "solent stay sloop' would be more descriptive.  I understand that doing so might be more work than it's worth and confusing to newbies but I did want to bring up the idea.

A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground that no one would think to try and refloat it.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 12:18:40 pm »

Saga 35 http://www.sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=3030 Ballast of 7800lb doesn't seem right on a boat of 12,810.  7800 ballast is the same as the Saga 43.

Saga 43 and 48 are listed as sloops which seems accurate in one sense since only one headsail ever flys, but seems inadequate since the both have two headstays, 1 to bow and 1 to sprit.  Perhaps a classification of "solent stay sloop' would be more descriptive.  I understand that doing so might be more work than it's worth and confusing to newbies but I did want to bring up the idea.

Adding a new rig category wouldn't be hard.
I wouldn't call these boat cutters though. I don't believe the J measurement for these boats by the designer includes the bowsprit. 
The sail area that I list would be more accurately described as 'upwind' sail area.
I J P E measured as triangles (a convention used my most rating rules.)
I also have SPL and ISP for boats that fly non standard off wind sails.
The base of the fore triangle extending to the bowsprit on the Sagas may technically be called SPL.  But no calculations are made from those numbers. There are so many variables as to how asymetrical spinnakers/gennekers, etc.  are measured from one boat to another that a coinsistent formula would be less than meaningful. If a downwind sail area is available, I just add it to the notes. 
I do actually have a diagram on the site that attempts to explain these numbers.
I'm also in the process of putting together some rig type and hull type diagrams.
rb
Adelie
Member Emeritus

Boat Type: Dread Pirate ship RADIO FLYER

Ahrrrrrr!!!!

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 03:46:15 pm »

From what I can see the bow sprit sails on the 43 & 48 are genoas, not CodeZeros or asymetrics.

It looks like both furlers carry upwind dacron sails on furlers for convenience, genoa on the sprit, lapper or jib on the bow like a lot of the Vendee/Globe/BOC/whatever-they-are-calling-it-now single-hand boats.

So I agree that the boats aren't cutters, but they are not exactly sloops either.  If it's just the 2 boats, which is all I have noted, then it's probably not worth the effort.

A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground that no one would think to try and refloat it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length