Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2016, 01:46:40 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  New Information, Corrections, Omissions etc.
| | |-+  Carl Alberg and Robinhood 36 & 40
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl Alberg and Robinhood 36 & 40  (Read 3542 times)
Adelie
Member Emeritus

Boat Type: Dread Pirate ship RADIO FLYER

Ahrrrrrr!!!!

« on: November 12, 2011, 01:50:12 am »

Sailboat Designs of Carl Alberg credit him with 2 Robinhood designs that came out 6 and 10yr after he died.  Is this correct?

http://sailboatdata.com/view_designer.asp?designer_id=16

A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground that no one would think to try and refloat it.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 10:34:28 am »

Sailboat Designs of Carl Alberg credit him with 2 Robinhood designs that came out 6 and 10yr after he died.  Is this correct?

I believe it is. They were based on one of the larger Cape Dory's.  But let me check to be sure.

rb
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 10:19:15 am »

I believe it is. They were based on one of the larger Cape Dory's.  But let me check to be sure.

rb

I checked.  Yes they are based on earlier Cape Dory models and are, in fact, Alberg designs.
rb
sunbird10201
Member Emeritus

Boat Type: Sailboat, O'DAY DS II

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 11:24:18 am »

I beieve that Andy Vavalotis was able to either retain or buy back the tooling for the CAPE DORY 36 and 40, however he lost the rights to the "CAPE DORY" brand name. Kind of like Rudy Nickerson buying the tooling for the O'DAY 192 and Widgeon before he was able to purchase the "O'DAY" name, thus leading to his marketing the 2 designs as the "SUNRISE" 19 and "SUNRISE" Widgeon. He now has the rights to the O'DAY name, but hasn't sold any new boats for several years (too expensive to build in small quantities!). Robinhood Marine is building the old CD 36 and CD 40 as custom boats, and they are not his main business, running the boatyard is.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 06:14:42 pm »

I beieve that Andy Vavalotis was able to either retain or buy back the tooling for the CAPE DORY 36 and 40, however he lost the rights to the "CAPE DORY" brand name. Kind of like Rudy Nickerson buying the tooling for the O'DAY 192 and Widgeon before he was able to purchase the "O'DAY" name, thus leading to his marketing the 2 designs as the "SUNRISE" 19 and "SUNRISE" Widgeon. He now has the rights to the O'DAY name, but hasn't sold any new boats for several years (too expensive to build in small quantities!). Robinhood Marine is building the old CD 36 and CD 40 as custom boats, and they are not his main business, running the boatyard is.

Wow! Excellent. Please continue. I would love the have the most up to date information for both of these companies that I had assumed, for all practical purposes, no longer existed.

Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
sunbird10201
Member Emeritus

Boat Type: Sailboat, O'DAY DS II

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 11:22:53 am »

I'll let a CAPE DORY owner elaborate on ROBINHOOD, what I posted is most of what I know. I do seem to recall that Robinhood Marine was connected to Cape Dory towards the end of CD's business life, perhaps Andrew Vavalotis used them as a commisioning dealer for CD's shipped to Maine? I think He and his brother Socrates Vavalotis also moved SPARTAN Marine (the in-house supplier of bronze fittings to Cape Dory) up to Maine as well. A lot of this can be found on the Cape Dory Owners web site, http://www.capedory.org/cdinfo.html#history

As to O'DAY....When O'DAY went out of business in May 1989, the assets were auctioned off. Some of the molds were bought by a group of investors that allied with the new owners of PEARSON YACHTS to build the DS III, 240, and 322, as well as the CAL 22, 33 and 39. Pearson went down in February of 1991, taking what was left of O'DAY/CAL down with them. Ultimately, Rudy Nickerson of D&R MARINE in Assonet, MA, who had served as Parts Dept. Manager at O'DAY from 1973 to 1989 was able to buy up a lot of the parts molds for the O'DAYs and eventually many of the hull/deck molds. He had started a small store with a buddy, selling hardware and maybe surplus parts right after O'Day went belly-up, and he was able to eventually expand to selling replacement parts for O'DAYs. This has now lead to also supplying some replacement parts for PEARSON Yachts and the later CAL sailboats. A few years ago he bought up a collection of spare parts for Alden Yachts (I think?) and has really become THE source for O'DAY parts (www.drmarine.com) He could become bigger, but seems to enjoy running his little shop (a literal "Mom & Pop", as his Wife is his only full-time help). He brought the 12' WIDGEON back for a few years, starting in 1990 as the "SUNRISE 12" and finally as the O'DAY WIDGEON until 2004 or so, unfortunately, he couldn't sell enough of them to make money at a fair price. He also built a few "SUNRISE 19s" (O'DAY 192), and one O'DAY 250 (the old 240). In 2001 or so he and a buddy explored building a limited line of O'DAYs, mainly the Widgeon, the 192, and the 290. They had a great web site with a Q&A for O'Day and Cal owners...... but the needed interest from potential buyers never happened I guess, and the brief spark died. D&R Marine continues as a great source for parts, but customers need to remember that Rudy runs a small shop and not WEST Marine. He will get you the parts you need, but be patient! Despite the web site, a phone call is best. I live close enough to visit in person on a Saturday morning.... that works even better! His prices are good, and with a bit of patience.... he can't be beat if you are restoring or fixing an O'DAY, CAL or Pearson. I am pretty sure that he has hte following molds; Widgeon, DS II, 192, 222, 240, 35, and perhaps a couple more. He definitely has molds for many of the various parts of the boats (hatches, rudders ,centerboards) and all the design specs for other stuff.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 03:19:38 pm »

More comments to follow;   But I have personally directed a number of people to D&R Marine and I'm glad to hear that they are still around.

rb
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length