Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 03, 2016, 08:55:11 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  Information Wanted
| | |-+  Spirit 6.5 keel locking bolt
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spirit 6.5 keel locking bolt  (Read 3437 times)
jeff6.5
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: glastron spirit 6.5

« on: March 14, 2012, 07:13:58 pm »

Hello,
Recently bought a '78 Glastron Spirit 6.5.  Really love it and got a good deal, but one irritant: in heavy seas swing keel will begin to fold up when bow is high and clank a little when boat goes over the swell and bow drops.
Found an original owner's manual for my boat online, but it was published in '79 and my boat is a '78.  Anyway, the owners manual says the boat is equipped with an L-shaped locking bolt located on the port side of the keel trunk which can be hand tightened when the keel is down to keep it down in rough weather.
I looked and found an eye bolt which has a lock nut on the end.  I was able to loosen the locknut.(the boat is on the trailor in my yard) but the eye bolt doesn't seem to want to loosen and it looks to me like this bolt is actually the pivot bolt for the swing keel- so I don't see how this could be the one the owners manual speaks of.  In any case, the dangers of messing with this bolt are obvious if it is the structural connection of the keel to the rest of the boat.
I figured the date discrepancy wouldn't make any difference, but maybe this friction bolt was added after '78.
Can you shed any light on this or make any suggestion about where I could possibly find more info?
The thing is, I don't really know if this banging of the swing keel could cause any real problems or not, but it can't be good for the swing keel cable or the shackle where it attaches to the keel.
If I lost that, I'd have a hell of a time getting the boat back on the trailor.(I'm keeping it at home for now)
Thanks very much, Jeffrey Kurtz

--
IP: 68.7.208.116
rDNS: ip68-7-208-116.sd.sd.cox.net
Sender: jeff6.5
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 02:51:35 pm »

Hello,
Recently bought a '78 Glastron Spirit 6.5.  Really love it and got a good deal, but one irritant: in heavy seas swing keel will begin to fold up when bow is high and clank a little when boat goes over the swell and bow drops.
Found an original owner's manual for my boat online, but it was published in '79 and my boat is a '78.  Anyway, the owners manual says the boat is equipped with an L-shaped locking bolt located on the port side of the keel trunk which can be hand tightened when the keel is down to keep it down in rough weather.
I looked and found an eye bolt which has a lock nut on the end.  I was able to loosen the locknut.(the boat is on the trailor in my yard) but the eye bolt doesn't seem to want to loosen and it looks to me like this bolt is actually the pivot bolt for the swing keel- so I don't see how this could be the one the owners manual speaks of.  In any case, the dangers of messing with this bolt are obvious if it is the structural connection of the keel to the rest of the boat.
I figured the date discrepancy wouldn't make any difference, but maybe this friction bolt was added after '78.
Can you shed any light on this or make any suggestion about where I could possibly find more info?
The thing is, I don't really know if this banging of the swing keel could cause any real problems or not, but it can't be good for the swing keel cable or the shackle where it attaches to the keel.
If I lost that, I'd have a hell of a time getting the boat back on the trailor.(I'm keeping it at home for now)
Thanks very much, Jeffrey Kurtz

Here's a clip of what my manual says. I don't know if it's the same as yours. I've never even seen one of these boats or a brake/pressure plate type gizmo of this type.  But it does sound like it's not the same as the keel pivot bolt.  The description does seem fairly clear as to where it should be.
I recommend that, In case you can't find someone who has this same boat and setup, that you get a couple of pictures of it.  There isn't a Glastron sailboat owners web site that I know of.  But you might check the Yahoo groups. It's possible that one exists there. That's all I can think of for now.

Regards,
Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
sunbird10201
Member Emeritus

Boat Type: Sailboat, O'DAY DS II

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 05:48:04 pm »

I don't have any first-hand knowledge about the Spirit 6.5, but I do have 38 years of experience with a CAL 21, so keel-locking bolts are familiar to me. It sounds like the Spirit used a setup similar to the Catalina 22.....maybe a Cat 22 owner could comment if no Spirit owners see this?

Again, I'm basing my answer on generic swing-keel design, but usuually the locking bolt or clamp will be near the top of the keel trunk, near the forward end, and higher up that the pivot bolt. The pivot bolt will be around 1" (+/-) in diameter, maybe bigger. That may be a clue as which bolt you are looking at.
It may not help much, bul I'll include a drawing of where the bolt is on a CAL 21........again, I realize not the same boat.....but at least it gives a vague idea of where to look? If I come upon any info on the Spirit, I'll post it!
Dave Laux
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: several Spirit, Hunter, Core Sound, custom built

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 04:47:28 pm »

I own a Spirit 6.5 and am a yacht repair professional. The swing keel is held by a pivot that is accessed from outside the boat underneath. There are four 3/8 bolts holding it with nuts on the inside of the boat under the forward end of the cabin sole. There are two hefty bronze castings involved in the support system too. The lock down clamp is accessed through the cover in the seat just aft of the mast compression post and is about 6 inches below the seat surface. It is frozen in place on our boat and I have not had reason to try to get it loose but that's where it is. Dave
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length