Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2016, 03:20:39 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  What is it? (Mystery Sailboat model)
| | |-+  William Garden Cutter- Aquila
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: William Garden Cutter- Aquila  (Read 5295 times)
Frozensurfer
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: 39' William Garden cuttter

« on: May 04, 2012, 02:38:16 am »

Hi Boat Friends
I'm on a quest for information concerning our wooden sail boat, Aquila. We picked her up last year as a freebee in exchange for a ride latter and a promise of restoration. She was a stout and classic little thing and we handn't the heart too see her waste away. After a busy year (really, for she was full rot and now she's not), Aquila is close to seeing the salt again. But what is she??? I would love to find the plans or stories of other sister ships.
Here is what I know.
Aquila is a 39' cutter- Perhaps shorter with a smaller sprit upon construction
First a gaff cutter- now a marconi (based on the location of an old hole in the deck and mast block on the floors)
33' on deck (6' sprit- perhaps shorted before)
Yellow Ceader on white oak, held with bronze screws
Clipper Bow
Full keel
Raked Transom
Keel hung rudder
Very old lines for being built in 1969.
17'boom
43' coach-roof stepped mast (though it was keel stepped in the begining for the gaff rig)
This is a similar boat I found online, also with no information

Also
Here is a picture of the Aquila
With rail and bow sprit removed

I will post more when I get back to my camera.
Thank you for your help
Richard Eben Sam

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 02:45:52 am by Frozensurfer » Logged
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 05:13:55 am »

Do you have any of the Garden Books?
I have the first one only.
His entire design collection (as you may know) is at the Mystic Seaport. (Collection #96)
http://library.mysticseaport.org/manuscripts/coll/spcoll096/spcoll096.html
The list is there even though it not well annotated. So I would think that it would require an actual visit to find what you are looking for. This design/type looks vaguely familiar though I can think of anything at the moment.
Glad you (and the boat), found each other.

rb
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 10:46:35 am »

Hi Boat Friends
I'm on a quest for information concerning our wooden sail boat, Aquila. We picked her up last year as a freebee in exchange for a ride latter and a promise of restoration. She was a stout and classic little thing and we handn't the heart too see her waste away. After a busy year (really, for she was full rot and now she's not), Aquila is close to seeing the salt again. But what is she??? I would love to find the plans or stories of other sister ships.
Here is what I know.
Aquila is a 39' cutter- Perhaps shorter with a smaller sprit upon construction
First a gaff cutter- now a marconi (based on the location of an old hole in the deck and mast block on the floors)
33' on deck (6' sprit- perhaps shorted before)
Yellow Ceader on white oak, held with bronze screws
Clipper Bow
Full keel
Raked Transom
Keel hung rudder
Very old lines for being built in 1969.
17'boom
43' coach-roof stepped mast (though it was keel stepped in the begining for the gaff rig)
This is a similar boat I found online, also with no information

Also
Here is a picture of the Aquila
With rail and bow sprit removed

I will post more when I get back to my camera.
Thank you for your help
Richard Eben Sam

Somehow this  topic  has been 'announced'  (via private Email) to every user that has ever registered here.
It's entirely my fault that this feature was even available  and I apologize to those who have been inconvenienced by it.  (Although I WON'T 'annouce' it.  That feature has now been permanently disabled even for the administrator.)
No personal email addresses were revealed or made visable to any other user during the event.

Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
jidzo
Regular

Boat Type: Jidzo

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 10:53:58 am »

No idea what sort of boat it is but she looks wonderfull.. ! Enjoy her and let us have more of her story

@ admin.. recieved a mail as well, lol no probs, was nice to see the boat.. J
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 10:59:45 am »

No idea what sort of boat it is but she looks wonderfull.. ! Enjoy her and let us have more of her story

@ admin.. recieved a mail as well, lol no probs, was nice to see the boat.. J

Thanks Jidzo.
I don't expect everyone to be so understanding.

rb
PenThis
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 11:49:50 am »

It was a nice surprise to get the email.  Thank you. Stirred up lots of memories of past work done and what the results can be.  Beautiful boat and I don't mind getting these types of announcements at all.

clear skies everyone

Jim
johnlynch
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 12:22:17 pm »

In many countries it was required for the boat builder to either engrave various basic details on the main deck beam or the screw a plaque with visible data in a prominent place. Does Aquila have one?

The American William GARDNER (not Garden) 1859-1934 was a prolific designer whose boats included American Cup racers, but retired in 1923.
There was a Canadian yacht designer William GARDEN b 1918, working in British Colombia and his designs are stored in the Mystic Seaport Museum, CT.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 12:41:20 pm »

In many countries it was required for the boat builder to either engrave various basic details on the main deck beam or the screw a plaque with visible data in a prominent place. Does Aquila have one?

The American William GARDNER (not Garden) 1859-1934 was a prolific designer whose boats included American Cup racers, but retired in 1923.
There was a Canadian yacht designer William GARDEN b 1918, working in British Colombia and his designs are stored in the Mystic Seaport Museum, CT.

Correct. We are talking about William GARDEN, who was BORN in Canada, but had a design firm in Seattle Washington for many years.

rb
Frozensurfer
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: 39' William Garden cuttter

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 04:34:41 pm »

Thanks for the note. I have a WN number inscribed on the clamp.  Can this be of use?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length