Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 03, 2016, 08:53:13 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Canoe sailing, with Super Sunfish Mast and sail.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Canoe sailing, with Super Sunfish Mast and sail.  (Read 2072 times)
bikermedic5807
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: 1962 O'Day Day Sailer, 16' Sailing Canoe Supr Sunfsh Mst&Sail

« on: May 14, 2012, 07:38:25 am »

First post but I am way out on a limb on what I sail with . I bought the 16 foot fiberglass canoe with a home made sailing rig off Craigslist in Rhode Island. Beam is right at 3 feet with the Lee Board total draft of  two feet. It came with a NICE tapered Spruce mast and boom with a small sail from a Duck sailboat. At least that is what the symbol is sewn to the top of it. 25-30 Ft Sq?

I can roof top the canoe and throw the rest of it inside my beat up station wagon. With a set of wheels attached to the hull I can park anywhere and walk the whole rig down the street and gain access without the need of a boat ramp. The spontaneity of quickly plopping this thing in almost any water as soon as the wind starts makes it addictive.  A steady eight knots  is ideal  but any waft of wind will move this 80 pound boat so it is the boat of choice when otherwise there wouldn't be enough air for the bigger and heavier O 'Day.
 Now I am in the process of not only learning the terminology  but the physics involved in my madness. Adding  the max square footage of sail (65 ) and a high aspect one makes for  a near impossible rig to sail in any changing wind speeds not to mention gusts. So today's project is building a hiking board that will give me greater beam then the actual Super Sunfish of 4.08 ' and cut a new Lee Board that is closer to four feet of draft to calm the speed of heeling over in a gust and give me some time to hike out further on the board.

So far there has been no need for additional flotation but this new sail rig changes that.

The mast head is fitted for a halyard and the boom is loose pinned. Can I lower this sleeved type/loose footed sail and reef the foot onto the boom in heavier wind? The previous owner said that the sail would only lower a few feet before bunching up on the mast so he never bothered with a halyard. I'll try to  dry rig this in the yard today and use one of the halyards off the other boat. Suggestions?? Thanks ! Larry Davis
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length