Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2016, 11:42:54 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  New Information, Corrections, Omissions etc.
| | |-+  Offshore 8 meter
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Offshore 8 meter  (Read 1907 times)
Meduza
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Offshore 8 meter

« on: May 31, 2012, 02:52:02 pm »

First of all..Thank you for very useful and exiting site. I use it a lot.
Being owner of an Offshore 8 meter designed by van de Stadt, I am of course concerned about the data and information about the boat.

Obviously the displacement given here at Sailboatdata.com must be wrong. It says 9000 lbs./ 4082 kgs. I am not sure about the correct value, but I believe about 2200 kgs. I hope this will be corrected.

The boat was built by Tyler boat, but also built by van de Stadt under the name "Bries". At least this is the information I have.
It seems to me that the photograph is of an Offshore, but the drawing is a Bries. I believe this because the drawn version has rudder outside while photograph has an underwater construction. Again, only my theories.

Looking forward to follow your site and hopefully you will change the displacement data.  ;D
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 03:49:15 pm »

First of all..Thank you for very useful and exiting site. I use it a lot.
Being owner of an Offshore 8 meter designed by van de Stadt, I am of course concerned about the data and information about the boat.

Obviously the displacement given here at Sailboatdata.com must be wrong. It says 9000 lbs./ 4082 kgs. I am not sure about the correct value, but I believe about 2200 kgs. I hope this will be corrected.

The boat was built by Tyler boat, but also built by van de Stadt under the name "Bries". At least this is the information I have.
It seems to me that the photograph is of an Offshore, but the drawing is a Bries. I believe this because the drawn version has rudder outside while photograph has an underwater construction. Again, only my theories.

Looking forward to follow your site and hopefully you will change the displacement data.  ;D

Thanks very much meduza.  This is the type of commentary I welcome the most.
I know about the 'Bries'.
Is it OK if I get back to you after I have chance to look at what I have already? 
My main interest is getting it all right.

Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT USA
sailboatdata.com
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 11:15:52 am »

Yes, the disp. for the Offshore 8m is almost certainly wrong.
The displ. listed for the Bries is 2.8 metric tons (6173 lbs.). I don't know where the 9000 lb. figure I have for the 8m came from.
According to the van de Stadt book, the Bries war first offered with a transom mounted rudder but was soon changed to the spade rudder as seen on the 8m.
The only drawing I have of the Bries is the earlier one.
I plan on including the Bries as a separate but linked record.
Just have to figure out the best way to do it. I will probably just remove the drawing of the 8m.
The whole vds 'catalogue' is the process of revision.
Again, thank you catching this.

Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
sailboatdata.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length