Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2016, 01:23:07 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  Information Wanted
| | |-+  Americaan Fiberglass (So. Carolina)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Americaan Fiberglass (So. Carolina)  (Read 3044 times)
windnutlarry
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Sovereign 17

« on: June 05, 2012, 07:03:01 am »

The only data I can find here relates to the American Fiberglass (1962-1972) that built the Aqua-Cat.  There was another, I think 1973-1977 or so'  that made a range of small boats in the 12-18' range. They also made something called a "mini-tonner". I had a 16' daysailer with a windowless cuddy that displaced about 650#, with a steel swing keel. The construction was REALLY heavy duty.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 09:22:31 am »

The only data I can find here relates to the American Fiberglass (1962-1972) that built the Aqua-Cat.  There was another, I think 1973-1977 or so'  that made a range of small boats in the 12-18' range. They also made something called a "mini-tonner". I had a 16' daysailer with a windowless cuddy that displaced about 650#, with a steel swing keel. The construction was REALLY heavy duty.
There was(is) American Sail. Not sure if they are still in business. Originally a sort of re-branding of the Aqua Cat is what I thought. But I could be wrong.
As far as the daysailer that you are referring to: Did you see this link:
sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=5832
There are quite a lot of boats referred to as mini-tonners. Technically, it was an IOR rating that was a certain increment lower the 1/4 ton I believe.
I wish I knew more about the relationship between the 2 'American' companies.
rb
sailboatdata.com

windnutlarry
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Sovereign 17

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 02:28:15 pm »

That looks like the 18 that was made in SC, but the link takes us back to the CT company. I have an old brochure that shows  a 12, 14, 16 and 18' monohull, plus a small cat. My sail bag was marked "Neil Pryde Sails made for American Fiberglass". The boat had a decal that read "American Fiiberglass, Charleston, SC." The boats still show up on Craigslist and EBay with some regularity and seem to have held up pretty well. Mine was 35 years old, had sat in a field for 5 years before I bought it, and still had good gelcoat on the hull and deck. I think the 16' had a 22'mast with a fractional rig and small jib.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 08:27:13 am »

That looks like the 18 that was made in SC, but the link takes us back to the CT company. I have an old brochure that shows  a 12, 14, 16 and 18' monohull, plus a small cat. My sail bag was marked "Neil Pryde Sails made for American Fiberglass". The boat had a decal that read "American Fiiberglass, Charleston, SC." The boats still show up on Craigslist and EBay with some regularity and seem to have held up pretty well. Mine was 35 years old, had sat in a field for 5 years before I bought it, and still had good gelcoat on the hull and deck. I think the 16' had a 22'mast with a fractional rig and small jib.

The company that first built the Aqua Cat STARTED in Norwalk, CT  but moved moved to NC.

Does the brochure say what these boats were called or anything else about them?
rb

rb
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 12:04:12 pm »

I just found this:
http://americansail.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=5

David Stanton was president of American Fiberglass (1970).
He resigned from that position, bought the Agua Cat line and started American Sail (1976).
Both companies were in SC. And American Sail is still in business.

rb
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length