Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2016, 01:46:52 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  New Information, Corrections, Omissions etc.
| | |-+  Dehler Optima 83, 92, 98
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dehler Optima 83, 92, 98  (Read 6548 times)
Gerard
Regular

Boat Type: Nicholson 43

« on: April 24, 2009, 01:06:06 am »

Dear Sonosail,

The picture shown in the Optima 92 record is actually the Optima 98. It has a rear cabin. My dad used to own an Optima 83. I'll see if I can find some old holiday pictures showing that ship, for you to use. (also v.d. Stadt designed)

Optima 83
LOA 8.30 m
B 2.48 m (just below 2.50 m. to allow on the public road)
D 1.35 m.
Weight 2.5 m tons
Faryman Diesel 1 cylinder 12 hp
Hull GRP
Fuel 45 Liter

The idea behind the Optima 83 was that you could trailer the hull to Greece or Turkey and borrow a keel there. I never heard of the system actually working.

It was a fast ship for its length. I remember we could do easily 6 knots on various courses and we topped 8 frequently in broad reaches.What I didn't like was the banging of the hull on the waves when sailing close hauled. Now I have to admit this was on the IJselmeer which has a very nasty steep wave. So perhaps that would be better on deeper water.
A more serious problem was the mast support. Below deck there was an aluminium tube placed under the mast support above deck. The support was placed just an inch or so to far to the rear. It caused the mast to sort of fall forward. My father had a nose welded to the tube, an later even stuffed the tube to stiffen it up. I remember one time in a harbour overhearing him talk with an other Optima 83 owner, opening his eyes to the problem. They had indeed a dent in the cabin roof, caused by mast sort falling from the support.

Optima 92
LOA 9.20 meter

Optima 98
LOA 9.80 meter

Kind regards,
Gerard

Apart from circum navigare you will be sailing up wind about 70% of the time.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 10:43:08 am »

Thanks.  Great stuff. So your saying it's just the picture that's wrong. Does look like a different boat than the drawing. (center cockpit, as you say).   Have to agree that using another keel at a different location doesn't seem all that practical.
I hope that Dehler manages to 'weather the current storm'. They made some terrific boats.
So I need to see if I can find some more information on these other models.
Regards,
Randy Browning

Dear Sonosail,

The picture shown in the Optima 92 record is actually the Optima 98. It has a rear cabin. My dad used to own an Optima 83. I'll see if I can find some old holiday pictures showing that ship, for you to use. (also v.d. Stadt designed)

Optima 83
LOA 8.30 m
B 2.48 m (just below 2.50 m. to allow on the public road)
D 1.35 m.
Weight 2.5 m tons
Faryman Diesel 1 cylinder 12 hp
Hull GRP
Fuel 45 Liter

The idea behind the Optima 83 was that you could trailer the hull to Greece or Turkey and borrow a keel there. I never heard of the system actually working.

It was a fast ship for its length. I remember we could do easily 6 knots on various courses and we topped 8 frequently in broad reaches.What I didn't like was the banging of the hull on the waves when sailing close hauled. Now I have to admit this was on the IJselmeer which has a very nasty steep wave. So perhaps that would be better on deeper water.
A more serious problem was the mast support. Below deck there was an aluminium tube placed under the mast support above deck. The support was placed just an inch or so to far to the rear. It caused the mast to sort of fall forward. My father had a nose welded to the tube, an later even stuffed the tube to stiffen it up. I remember one time in a harbour overhearing him talk with an other Optima 83 owner, opening his eyes to the problem. They had indeed a dent in the cabin roof, caused by mast sort falling from the support.

Optima 92
LOA 9.20 meter

Optima 98
LOA 9.80 meter

Kind regards,
Gerard
Gerard
Regular

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 11:44:38 pm »

Yes, only the picture.
The mistake is easily made, as the rear cabin and the extra length are about the only things different, as if they just added the rear entry to an existing ship.

Optima 92, 1973
LOA 9.20 m.
LWL 7.27 m.
B 2.95 m.
D 1.60 m.
weight 3.63 m tons
sail area 49.10
GRP

Optima 98, 1980
LOA 9.80 m.
LWL 7.80 m.
B 2.95 m.
D 1.65 m.
weight 4.00 m tons
sail area 49.10
GRP

Gerard

Here an add with the 92.
http://www.ycl.nl/yacht/Z043.htm
The bowtie in the sail is the sign of the NKK (Dutch Cruiser Class), they have a rating system for cruisers.

sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 09:47:14 am »

Got it. Most helpful, especially since I have so little decent stuff on these earlier Dehlers.
Found a brochure for the Optima 98G. drawing is unusable but here's the picture:

Once again, greatly appreciated.
Done any sailing on the Nicholson this season?

rb

Yes, only the picture.
The mistake is easily made, as the rear cabin and the extra length are about the only things different, as if they just added the rear entry to an existing ship.

Optima 92, 1973
LOA 9.20 m.
LWL 7.27 m.
B 2.95 m.
D 1.60 m.
weight 3.63 m tons
sail area 49.10
GRP

Optima 98, 1980
LOA 9.80 m.
LWL 7.80 m.
B 2.95 m.
D 1.65 m.
weight 4.00 m tons
sail area 49.10
GRP

Gerard

Here an add with the 92.
http://www.ycl.nl/yacht/Z043.htm
The bowtie in the sail is the sign of the NKK (Dutch Cruiser Class), they have a rating system for cruisers.
Gerard
Regular

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 12:40:47 pm »

Hi Randy,

Finally did some sailing.
The weather started grey, but soon cleared. The wind started force 4 but stiffened into 5.

We got caught in some Dehler event on the Haringvliet. I asked the photographer I had on board to shoot some of the ships. One of them was a beautiful Optima 92.

The pictures are here, you may use them on your website if you want to.
http://web.me.com/jonkerwu1/sailing/20090503-1.html
http://web.me.com/jonkerwu1/sailing/20090503-2.html
The photographer's name: Walter Van Duyneveldt.

The klipperaak got me thinking, can you set up a Dutch classics page?

Gerard

sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 07:06:47 pm »

Thanks.  Very nice photos.
Yes, I would happy to do a site for you to the extent that I'm able.
You'd have to decide if you want your own domain, hosting etc. Or you could incorporate it into this site in some way.
Whatever I can do would be for free.  But I'm not exactly a web site wizard, especially with fancy graphics, etc.  (as you can tell).  You would have to be a little more specific about what you want to do.  But yes, I would be happy to help.

Randy Browning

Hi Randy,

Finally did some sailing.
The weather started grey, but soon cleared. The wind started force 4 but stiffened into 5.

We got caught in some Dehler event on the Haringvliet. I asked the photographer I had on board to shoot some of the ships. One of them was a beautiful Optima 92.

The pictures are here, you may use them on your website if you want to.
http://web.me.com/jonkerwu1/sailing/20090503-1.html
http://web.me.com/jonkerwu1/sailing/20090503-2.html
The photographer's name: Walter Van Duyneveldt.

The klipperaak got me thinking, can you set up a Dutch classics page?

Gerard
Gerard
Regular

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 11:14:07 am »

Hi Randy,

You are building a nice DB about ships here. It would be a shame to fragment it.
I'd say, give it an extra section like so:

Or maybe just "Classics and then subdivide in American, British, Chinese, Dutch, French etc... (I only plan to work on the Dutch section, and that may even be too much). :-)

Shall I start collecting material and Data and we decide how to continue when we have a handful?

Gerard

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length