Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 06, 2016, 08:58:31 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  Information Wanted
| | |-+  Dimensions of Mast
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dimensions of Mast  (Read 2358 times)
Upstart67
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: 1967 Starcraft Upstart

« on: June 22, 2009, 06:12:39 pm »

I am looking for dimensions for a mast of a 1967 Starcraft Upstart. I bought the boat in Goshen , Indiana,(where it was manufactured) from a consignment shop. It was missing the mast and both sails. I also have found that the company does not exist anymore as of a couple of years ago,and the designer died in 1986. I am hoping someone of great knowledge can point me in the right direction. Thanks!
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 08:11:22 am »

What you have is probably the earliest production monohull by Rod MacAlpine-Downie. (one of the greatest sailboat designers ever in my opinion - way ahead of his time).  So at least you have a boat that was designed to sail rather than just as a floating object to sit on.
That being said, you need to decide how much time and effort, (and $) you want to put into it, and should you wish to restore it, how close you want to make it to the original. I seriously doubt that the orginal manufacturers drawings still exist. The drawing that is displayed on this site, is the only one I've ever seen anywhere. although you can probably find a brochure on Ebay.
The builder, Starcraft still exists, but they haven't made sailingboats for nearly 40 years.
You will NOT find any parts "off the shelf".  If the hull is in decent condition, you should just try to find a left over rig and sails of the same approximate size. (this, in itself, won't be that easy).  If you are really lucky, you may be able to find a wrecked one somewhere.
There are companies that will make a new mast for you, and you could buy new sails, but this would be quite expensive.  ($2500 at least)
If you still wish to proceed, post some pictures of the boat with as much detail as possible, especially showing the where the bottom of the mast attaches to the boat. 
In the mean time, I'll keep my eyes open and see what may be around, If something pops up, I'll let you know.
Best of Luck.
Regards,
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length