Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2016, 11:58:33 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  ALERT -Massive stealing of content by sailingnetworks.com
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ALERT -Massive stealing of content by sailingnetworks.com  (Read 3996 times)
sonosail
Administrator

« on: June 30, 2009, 08:28:49 am »

A site called sailingnetworks.com is now massively copying images and content, (authored by me) from this site.
Let me state up front:  I don't claim OWNERSHIP of information about boats, nor do I OWN images that I have scanned from brochures and ads that I have collected over the years. In fact I have willingly contributed some of my material to other sites. Nor do I worry excessively when someone takes something for another site EVEN without permission.
THAT'S NOT WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT HERE!  sailingnetworks.com has now copied HUNDREDS of the images including boat records, etc. as well as historical information authored by me.
The owner of the site first offered to correct the situation, but appears, now, to reneging on that promise. 
I'm now in the process of investigating any and all options to fight this, which, in my view is a complete outrage.
Gerard
Regular

Boat Type: Nicholson 43

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 12:56:52 pm »

Lots of success!
Gerard

Apart from circum navigare you will be sailing up wind about 70% of the time.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 02:31:14 pm »

Lots of success!
Gerard
Thanks. It's possible that this person has had a change of heart and appears to be  deleting some of the most obvious copying. 
Hope you've had a chance to do some sailing on the Nic. Did you ever do anything with the 'Dutch Classics'?

Regards,
Randy Browning
Gerard
Regular

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 02:35:01 am »

Hi Randy,

He is a nitwit anyway. Placing "van de Stadt under the V of van (meaning "of" or "from") He should place it under the S of Stadt (meaning "City" or "Town").

My plan was to scan the book I once made for myself, when I was +/- 14 yrs old, It had a lot of self made pictures and some tech details. But I can't find it anymore. So now I am shooting pictures like crazy, basically redoing everything. Some problems lie ahead, I remember that I did find out the difference between a Wieringer Bol, and a Vollenhovense Bol. Also the Schokker and the Hengst are very similar.

Writing this I did some searching and I found a very neat site by the SSRP. That will surely help.  http://www.ssrp.nl/scheepstypen.asp

Regards,
Gerard

sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 09:54:38 am »

Thanks for pointing this out because, I think I'm guilty of the same error which I now want to correct.  As you are probably aware, there is /was  a 'nephew'??,  (also a designer who worked out of Canada). You see his name listed mostly as Hubert VANDESTADT. (whether this is just an anglicized version that HE chose,  I don't know)    So, when I alphabetize "van de Stadt" it should be under 'S'?  Stadt being technically a the separate 'surname' ?But I will leave the nephew where he is.   I hope that's right. Only problem is, there are just 2 fields, firstname and last name. I'll just have to use perentheis somehow. (not an earthshaking problem I guess)

So, I need to have a look at this site (you listed....even though it's probably in Dutch?)
Interested in hearing about your progress with the photos etc.

Randy Browning

Hi Randy,

He is a nitwit anyway. Placing "van de Stadt under the V of van (meaning "of" or "from") He should place it under the S of Stadt (meaning "City" or "Town").

My plan was to scan the book I once made for myself, when I was +/- 14 yrs old, It had a lot of self made pictures and some tech details. But I can't find it anymore. So now I am shooting pictures like crazy, basically redoing everything. Some problems lie ahead, I remember that I did find out the difference between a Wieringer Bol, and a Vollenhovense Bol. Also the Schokker and the Hengst are very similar.

Writing this I did some searching and I found a very neat site by the SSRP. That will surely help.  http://www.ssrp.nl/scheepstypen.asp

Regards,
Gerard
centerofeffort42
Boat builder
Regular

Boat Type: C&C 34R, Peterson 25

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 01:55:46 pm »

Randy,
Just opened your alert posting.  As you say, if this issue was only about downloading brochure pic's and line drawing's no bigey. However, at this cyder spot - I like your reasoned advice, helpfulness, good Read's on various boats, and history's of sailing personages ; a Randy Browning ownership issue. Let's stop pirating your good effort's.

Because your sites SBD.com is a good craftsman like work, credit, and control should be yours. As you know me,credit due, is a good thing.  Aside from this issue of copying, and because of your friendly site I'm posting  you the "data" on Bayliners foray into sailboat production.  There powerboat's are original and stand on there own. However, the sailboat's thing gets complicated. I know you well sort it out .  Because many of these boats were a bit weired, poor sailor, etc. ,yet there D. Peterson 33 was a good sailor. It came 5th. in the 3/4 ton IOR worlds. in Victoria back in the day. 1978

Your friend , Craig Montague
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 11:36:40 pm by centerofeffort42 » Logged
Gerard
Regular

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 11:31:41 am »

Thanks for pointing this out because, I think I'm guilty of the same error

Oops, Sorry, didn't mean to.....

I didn't know he had family or somebody under the same name working from Canada.
Yes, I see a lot of originally Dutch names 'Anglified' that way. Although Belgians sometimes do that, too.

I see, it is more complex than I thought. The best way to do it is sorting under 'Stadt' but writing 'van der Stadt'. If you don't have a separate sorting field you can write it like this: 'Stadt, van de'. But, I'm afraid, then only the Dutch will understand it. Go for what most English speaking will understand, if that means sorting under V, so be it.

Yes the SSRP is in Dutch only, but the pictures are in a more universal language. :-)

Kind regards,
Gerard

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length