Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2016, 06:52:17 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  Information Wanted
| | |-+  PARI 34 3/4 ton (S&S)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PARI 34 3/4 ton (S&S)  (Read 4781 times)
sonosail
Administrator

« on: July 10, 2009, 11:36:25 am »

Thanks for the article on PARI 34 centerofeffort.  So this first one they are talking about was built using the WEST system.  Do you know if they built any more and was this sort of mid-seventies?  Because I remember seeing an ad for these, but I can't remember where.
I have a thing for the 3/4 ton size range. I actually own a 1984 Judel/Vrolijk 3/4 ton. (not really a production boat since the only built 2)
I've already added a record for it anyway and be putting the drawing in there soon.

rb
centerofeffort42
Boat builder
Regular

Boat Type: C&C 34R, Peterson 25

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 02:15:44 am »

I've posted a couple pictures of a PARI 34 I ran a cross back in 1977 when making my pilgrimage to sailing's holy ground, Newport, RI.  Also find,the little Bill Cook 1 Toner, Rogues Roost. on the hard @ Bristol, RI

I'm a believer in coincidences, Your mention of owning a J/V IOR sailboat, triggered memories of coming onto a Judel & Vrolijk 40. Also an IOR boat in Lymington, England back in 1986, just after the recent Admiral cup staged on the Solent. A German team boat, one of three. It's design was slanted towards preforming well in the light, unfortunately the races that year proved heavy air tests of survival.

The two unusual things about this boat was 1. it supported a dark green camouflage paint scheme that did not make it invisible.  2. The second was it's name  in German - "SUD PACK".  lastly I noticed this boat was an impressive build.  Not chrome, and yacht showiness. Rather like a German glider, Exotic, ingeniously featured, and very detailed

So, where did life led this light air flyer?  By chance I ran onto pictures of a white on white old IOR war horse @ Southern Yacht club's site, New Orleans.  It was the same J/V 40.   Ironically,  "Sud PACK" translates to  "SOUTH GANG" in English? 
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 08:06:50 am »

You had a question mark next to the US 21. It appears it was also called the TRITON 21.
I knew about some of the molds going to Pearson for a time to create a very short lived TRITON line, but I didn't know about this one.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 02:16:45 pm »

I've posted a couple pictures of a PARI 34 I ran a cross back in 1977 when making my pilgrimage to sailing's holy ground, Newport, RI.  Also find,the little Bill Cook 1 Toner, Rogues Roost. on the hard @ Bristol, RI

I'm a believer in coincidences, Your mention of owning a J/V IOR sailboat, triggered memories of coming onto a Judel & Vrolijk 40. Also an IOR boat in Lymington, England back in 1986, just after the recent Admiral cup staged on the Solent. A German team boat, one of three. It's design was slanted towards preforming well in the light, unfortunately the races that year proved heavy air tests of survival.

The two unusual things about this boat was 1. it supported a dark green camouflage paint scheme that did not make it invisible.  2. The second was it's name  in German - "SUD PACK".  lastly I noticed this boat was an impressive build.  Not chrome, and yacht showiness. Rather like a German glider, Exotic, ingeniously featured, and very detailed

So, where did life led this light air flyer?  By chance I ran onto pictures of a white on white old IOR war horse @ Southern Yacht club's site, New Orleans.  It was the same J/V 40.   Ironically,  "Sud PACK" translates to  "SOUTH GANG" in English?
I remember reading about SUD PACK.  My boat was built for the 1983 3/4 ton worlds, held in Germany. 2 were built. This boat certainly doesn't have any yacht showiness, but not necessarily that well detailed.  There is a photo in the files section. But I'll post another one. Original name is Gaviotta.
I am still curious about the origins of the Buccaneer 180.  You say it came from a Paceship boat.
Does look a lot like the Mouette except for the basic dimensions.
Here's a drawing of one. Think this could be it?
centerofeffort42
Boat builder
Regular

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 02:20:34 pm »

Yes, this is the 21 developed in 1981 or 82 at Bayliner.  As the Pearson people acquired Bayliner's - US Marines Line of sail boats it went into the package.  There (Pearson) strategy, I later heard was to just phase these boats out of the market.

Shaw was still doing design work @ Pearson and I bet he gagged upon seeing the hole fleet they acquired. The exception well have been the little 21 you show. My suspicion is the boat came from Gary Mull's 26 foot drop board sport boat of the same time period. I did run across a Mull "Ranger 26" drop board boat on Lake Union, Seattle and always wanted to see it sail out on the sound.

What they (Bayliner) would have done amounted to "splashing" the hull for a mold then just pattern a new transom placing it into the 26 hull mold, Bing bang you now have a 21 foot drop board sport boat. The board trunk may have been moved forward to balance the boats helm.  Marketing people may well have called the shots for the deck design.  Bayliner was moving into large motor yachts at the time demanding the attention of the small design group,which I had left to work for Boeing's 767 start up,

CRM   
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 12:16:05 pm »

Yes, this is the 21 developed in 1981 or 82 at Bayliner.  As the Pearson people acquired Bayliner's - US Marines Line of sail boats it went into the package.  There (Pearson) strategy, I later heard was to just phase these boats out of the market.

Shaw was still doing design work @ Pearson and I bet he gagged upon seeing the hole fleet they acquired. The exception well have been the little 21 you show. My suspicion is the boat came from Gary Mull's 26 foot drop board sport boat of the same time period. I did run across a Mull "Ranger 26" drop board boat on Lake Union, Seattle and always wanted to see it sail out on the sound.

What they (Bayliner) would have done amounted to "splashing" the hull for a mold then just pattern a new transom placing it into the 26 hull mold, Bing bang you now have a 21 foot drop board sport boat. The board trunk may have been moved forward to balance the boats helm.  Marketing people may well have called the shots for the deck design.  Bayliner was moving into large motor yachts at the time demanding the attention of the small design group,which I had left to work for Boeing's 767 start up,

CRM   
Interesting, because I know that there was another Ranger 26 built around 1980. (I have it listed as the RANGER 26-2)  Could this be the 'drop board' one you are referring to?  I've seen a photo of one. Seems quite different from the earlier 26. Frac. rig, open transom, etc.   They couldn't have been built for too long. Trying to find  a brochure for this one.
rb
centerofeffort42
Boat builder
Regular

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 12:20:25 am »

Yes Randy,
I think your on to it, the phantom boat. I know the Mull "Pocket Rocket 21" was not in this picture.  The Ranger 26 I'm referring to was a drop board boat, with a narrowish hull form, and I remember an inboard rudder featuring a quick removal arrangement. All slanted toward road trailer use.

I don't think East coasters are aware of Seattle's unique Lake Union, which is located near the city center.  It lay between the sound and Lake Washington. Lake Washington has it's unlimited hydro's, and Lake Union it's unlimited sailboat race the "Wednesday nite Duck Dodge races". Back in the 1970's one summer saw the combat of titans. The 12 meter "Newsboy" fought it out with the infamous C&C 61 "Jolie". It would slow traffic on I-5 running above, and next to the small lake.

Fast forward to 1981 or 82, and the summer of ; "What is it with that boat"?  I did not see these races, but this is the story.  A little Ranger appeared at these Duck Dodge races, and on the windward, leeward race course this little boat became a legend. Often racing with San Juan 30 - 1/2 toners it was able to match there speed upwind, but down wind the boat's owner replaced the small fractional rig spinner with a mast head Maxie runner spinnaker. A rum-line course was always steered, and on the some times windy days it would do a horizon job on it's class and finished with Peterson 35 - 1 toners and other 40 footers.

crm
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 05:38:07 pm by centerofeffort42 » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length