Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2016, 08:37:00 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  Information Wanted
| | |-+  North Star 1000
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: North Star 1000  (Read 3792 times)
susansimms@hotmail.com
Pick-up Crew

« on: July 29, 2009, 08:00:33 pm »

I have acquired two pewter glass-bottomed tankards. The first is for the launch of the North Star 80/20 June 7, 1973.  And the second is for the launch of the North Star 1000 Aug. 3, 1973.  They are Birks pewter. Both have handles on the left. I got them in Charlotte County, New Brunswick, Canada. I have no information at all so anything you can tell me would be appreciated. Thank you.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 07:01:16 am »

I have acquired two pewter glass-bottomed tankards. The first is for the launch of the North Star 80/20 June 7, 1973.  And the second is for the launch of the North Star 1000 Aug. 3, 1973.  They are Birks pewter. Both have handles on the left. I got them in Charlotte County, New Brunswick, Canada. I have no information at all so anything you can tell me would be appreciated. Thank you.
I don't know anything more than what you see here already.   However, you have alerted me to the fact that my general timeline for the company is slightly off, though the dates do fit.   
It does seem odd that they would celebrate the building of the first of something since success was  never quaranteed,, especially in a business of this type. 
Both of these models did end up being relatively successful.

Randy Browning
susansimms@hotmail.com
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 10:52:41 pm »

So you're telling me this was a sailboat built by ? and it was the first of this "model" they ever built? So the tankards probably were made for the company not the owner? I really mean I know nothing. I don't sail. I am not familiar with the company. I do not understand the terminologies. Thanks for your reply.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 12:30:46 pm »

A knowledge of sailing is not necessary. Yes these are models, (like Chevrolet Caprice was a car 'model') .   If you didn't see it already look here: http://www.sailboatdata.com/view_BUILDER.asp?Builder_ID=17
I'm only guessing based on what you said the inscription said.
rb

So you're telling me this was a sailboat built by ? and it was the first of this "model" they ever built? So the tankards probably were made for the company not the owner? I really mean I know nothing. I don't sail. I am not familiar with the company. I do not understand the terminologies. Thanks for your reply.
susansimms@hotmail.com
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 08:48:42 pm »

Thanks. I got a picture of what the actual boat looked like. It appears I have no way of finding out who owned the tankards and/or who owned the boat they represent, where it is now, how many of them were built, or any other information about it. But what I found out is great. Thanks. Susan
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 12:05:11 pm »

I got the impression that they were created for, and owned by the builder. Sort of like the momento's that underwriters have made for themselves when they do a new stock issue. But I could be way off on this.
I wouldn't think it to be impossible to find out who owned them, but I don't have any real contacts with anyone that was involved with the Hughes Company. I don't believe Howard Hughes (not the aviator) is still living. But there must be others out there somewhere that are. It wasn't THAT long ago. Just depends how much time you want to put into it.

rb

susansimms@hotmail.com
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 04:32:27 pm »

What I find really mysterious is how the tankards ended up in a box at a little yard sale in Charlotte County, New Brunswick for 25 cents apiece.  I think I'm pretty lucky to have them. And every little piece of the puzzle that falls into place makes me want to learn more. They were purchased near a fishing village so I had assumed they were for a fishing boat. It was a surprise to learn that they were for a sailboat. Susan
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length