Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 07, 2016, 07:02:28 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Origins of the Hughes 25 - Nutmeg 24?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Origins of the Hughes 25 - Nutmeg 24?  (Read 2472 times)
sonosail
Administrator

« on: July 31, 2009, 12:17:59 pm »

It's very possible this boat derived from the NUTMEG 24, designed by William Shaw (1964). The symmetry of the 2 hulls are strikingly similar, and I have read that at about this time, Hughes Boatworks acquired tooling from Tanzer Industries, the original builder of NUTMEG 24. It's not surprising that little notice has been made of this since neither boat was built in significant numbers.
When you look at the drawings, the similarities are striking, especially the top view.
But looking at the profile, the centerboard has been done away with, the deadwood aft has been removed and a separate spade rudder has been added. Although the total sail area is the same, the mast has moved aft (also consistent with the trend of the time.
All this is purely speculation on my part and I've never heard the connection made anywhere else.
rb
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length