Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2016, 01:48:32 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  DS 16 and the overhaul decision
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DS 16 and the overhaul decision  (Read 2830 times)
TomHanrath
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: DS 16 (Schwill Yachts)

« on: August 30, 2009, 04:49:56 pm »

I've recently purchased a DS 16...and I think it's a 1978.  I've had it out sailing 5 time already and one of those immediately on the eveing I brought it home.  All is functional on the boat.  The folks I bought if from kept it in fine working order and I'm very please with the purchase an I feel like a really got a good deal.

But I'm tempted to put some work into it this winter.  Sure it's working just fine...but this is a fairly old boat and it has some damage areas that have been repaired but not prettily.  And worse yet I can detect stress cracks around places like:
- Stay cable anchors
- Corners on the entirior where benches round down into the floor
- Frequent spots on the hull
I don't know much yet about fibre glass but it appears to have a white coating that appears to crack.  I would like to do the work to make sure these cracks don't grow into a real problem.  As well, I'm fairly certain that there is water getting into the hull around the swing keel.  Sure its positive floatation foam and all that but it probably should be taken care of.
So, my question is...can something like this be done in a winter?  I mean can I even disassemble a hull such as this sort of like a car?  I don't see a way to remove the interior shell from the outer one...or am I looking at this all wrong?  Am I tyring to do too much?  I'm not scared about learning to work with fibre glass...that is just learning.   But I don't know where to begin and I'm getting the feeling that boates can't be just "disassembled" like a car to get at the body work.  <grin>  Sorry, I've never taken a boat on like this before.  Got any advice or experience with the DS16?
Thanks,
Tom
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 03:23:43 pm »

Maybe someone can chime in with the specifics, but you can do this most of this.
You DO NOT WANT TO EVEN ATTEMPT to remove the inner shell. If there is water in there, you will need to dry it out some other way.  There is a user group for these (DS) boats I think on Yahoo?? Shouldn't be tough to find.  (I don't list user groups here.) You might get some better advice there.
Regards,
Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length