Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2016, 03:03:03 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  IOR Boats
| | |-+  IOR RACE boats; Quarter, half, and 3/4 toners
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: IOR RACE boats; Quarter, half, and 3/4 toners  (Read 20128 times)
centerofeffort42
Boat builder
Regular

Boat Type: C&C 34R, Peterson 25

« on: September 02, 2009, 12:00:00 pm »

General notes and info related to the older IOR boats. For better are worse, many are out there wanting to sail.  In an attempt to kick off  interest in this thread,  I'm offering pictures of Terrorist a 1974 One ton rater.  This boat pointed so high with speed and cranking the  bilge boards up, it just flew down wind. This forced the ruling bodies of the IOR to kill this configuration. The fleet would have been obsoleted over night. 

Its the boaters version of the Barn Find of Type 57 Bugatti.

crm
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 07:21:29 am by sonosail » Logged
centerofeffort42
Boat builder
Regular

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 12:06:00 pm »

This next pictures shows a wider view of Terrorist. The years of no maintenance have taken it's toll.  However the plating is quite fair.  The boat changed hands and renamed Uproar.

crm
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 12:26:31 pm by centerofeffort42 » Logged
centerofeffort42
Boat builder
Regular

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 12:19:43 pm »

This picture is inside the boat. It looks as if accommodation were never fitted. The general condition of the Aluminum plating is in excellent condition. The bilge board trunks have been removed  to prepare for the installation of joinery. The wood work you see was installed after the original bilge board trunks were removed, and a yacht grade installation it was not.

crm
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 12:33:55 pm by centerofeffort42 » Logged
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 09:39:33 am »

Here's another picture of the same boat. Must have been a few years earlier, but already abandoned apparently.
You have to check out this thread craig:

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sailboats/old-quarter-tonners-magic-bus-24492.html

Right up your alley.  There talking about some of the same boats that you know about.
You probably know these guys.  Just wasted almost an hour looking at it.
Just don't forget your role as official west coast historian for saiboatdata.com!
Haven't forgotten about the drawings.  Will keep you posted.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 09:41:32 am by sonosail » Logged
centerofeffort42
Boat builder
Regular

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 02:58:22 am »

Yes ,  I've strayed a bit, over to the boat design site.  The fellows over there were talking of early drop board IOR boats, and started to mention the 1974 &75 Bruce King's board boats.  I post them snaps of Terrorist. The same boat  I've posted here at "SailboatData".

These fellows apparently got a kick out seeing the boat again after 35 years.  The boats owner an Al Cairns here in Port Townsend also got a kick out of seeing his boat on the Internet.   Al, bough the boat years ago planing on converting it to a center line keel, cruising boat. As can be seen in the snaps here, the two bilge board trunks have been removed and the exists plugged.  The 35x12 foot boat is huge down below.

Aluminium boats like this are hard to work on, but doable.  To poke around the boat is a Tour De Force of gran pre thinking of the day. The Rig laid along side my shop for yeas. A double spreader, rod rigging, and with  Sterns Twin Stay set up.  The mast head and all all attachments had been fair ed in to make it as slippery as passable.

I get a kick out Antiques Road Show,  and the idea of discovering old hidden away tech stuff.  Growing up in Dallas, Tex. my brother and I on Saturdays would hike a few miles to mustang airport to play on a Bell Air King Cobra P39. We knew it was old, So, what was it's story?  Texans love a good story.  Discovering this old GP race boat always interested me. Kind of like finding a Bugatti sitting next to your work shop.

crm

centerofeffort42
Boat builder
Regular

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 09:20:17 pm »

To all;

This is an interesting 1/4 ton boat that never caught the attention of the media back in 1975.  The Royal Van Yacht club held the North Americans 1/4 ton regatta on English Bay.

This is a Scott Kauffman boat.  The construction is multi chine plywood. Hull free board is very tall.  However the working cockpit is ingeniously though out. 

crm
P.S. Please note the solid vang. the first I had ever seen on a small boat.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 09:36:51 pm by centerofeffort42 » Logged
centerofeffort42
Boat builder
Regular

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 09:26:11 pm »

An other view of Scott Kauffman's 1/4 toner.
centerofeffort42
Boat builder
Regular

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 09:27:56 pm »

The last view of Scott Kauffman's boat.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 09:40:19 am »

Whatever people say about IOR, at least the designers tried different things. (Of course, many of the really effective ideas were quickly banned).
I can't believe the cockpit on this thing. And the genoa track actually in-line with the shrouds.  Very weird.
Those black Scheafer blocks look familiar.  I'm actually still using some of those. They have to be at least 25 years old, with plastic sheaves and they still look and work like new. Much lighter and more durable than the early Harken ones.
I'm not sure I'd want to be on this thing when the wind started to blow. But, who knows.
I know the IOR had a certain headroom requirement which may account for the high freeboard.  On the 3/4 ton racers of the era (83-84) when my boat was built, they simply did away with any kind of cabin sole. Doesn't contribute to an elegant looking interior. On my boat I just added some ratty looking floor boards.  Keeps the feet dry when you actually have to go below. 
When I get a chance, I'll post a picture of the interior.  It's like the inside of a barrel.

rb

centerofeffort42
Boat builder
Regular

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 11:31:20 pm »

I'm going to post snaps of the 1978 - 3/4 ton held at Victoria on Vancouver Island.  Lets start with the famous Davidson Pendragon.

[attachment deleted by admin]
centerofeffort42
Boat builder
Regular

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 11:38:03 pm »

NEXT is a Bret Chance design "Sachem" Sail by Bill Bucham from the Seattle area.  The boat came second to  the dragon
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 11:27:06 am »

These look so much like the later 3/4 tons from the 1980's. They must have changed the rule significantly just before this since the ones from just a few years before were so different. Like the Carter boats which were then always at the top. Like this one.
centerofeffort42
Boat builder
Regular

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 06:02:35 pm »

Hello  Randy,

Actually, when the 1978 New Zealand "Light Brigade" hit our shores all that changed,was a  philosophy.  Coping with windy weather to sail, the nature of there boats evolved differently.

Kiwi's admit they turned to the design work of US East coasters like Hershoff in Road Island for inspiration. Bruce Farr's,  48 South, and Whiting's Magic Bus ushered in this light weight but long water line concept of fast boat designing.  A New Zealand fellow has written an interesting book chronicling this history.

The nature of The Quarter ton IOR design is evolving in an interesting way.  This Type boat is making a come back!  The larger boats 1/2; 3/4; and 1 Tonners well never return as a rule for designers.  However, the Quarter ton bracket is a live and well, because it "does" what it always said it was intended for.  A way to rate Different designs so they can race boat for boat.  As boats get bigger and more money is brought to bear, far to many elements jump into  rating brackets to make for level racing.   

The physical nature of the old "non Skiff" Quarter ton boat is what appears long lived.  At a low cost from $4000.00 to $20,000.00 a person can have a competive boat, family and friends can race. Today there is NO racing for this bracket in Puget Sound. I mean NONE in the USA. However, Check out You Tube racing on the Solent, UK  also  see  www.vprincipe.ru  That is Russia, yes racing on the river in Moscow,  looks great.  Mostly 1980's Peterson 25's made in  Poland.  The wide stern design of round section design  slanted towards light air work.  My old Pet 25 of 1972 design would find a good competive life in that fleet.
BobBrett
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Avance 40

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 04:08:39 pm »

Centerofeffort42, Sonsail or others:

I'm considering purchasing an Avance 40, built in 1985, for sale at Shilshol. A racing buddy of mine expressed the concern that it may not sail very well as it is very beamy and appears to have been built to beat the IOR rules.

Is anyone familiar with this Swan copycat? Any comments?
Sonsail, I see you have a page on this website dedicated to the Avance 40.

Thanks,
Bob Brett, Olympia
Barney Post
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 06:32:24 pm »

It's an S&S design. Don't know why he would assume it doesn't sail well. It was designed a while ago so it's not going to sail like a Farr 40.   Avance's are pretty rare in the US. I'm assuming you checked out the record here: http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_ID=2078  Alot of good IOR boats around.  The whole anti-IOR thing is over played in my opinion.
bp
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length