Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2016, 03:35:16 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  IOR Boats
| | |-+  IOR RACE boats; Quarter, half, and 3/4 toners
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: IOR RACE boats; Quarter, half, and 3/4 toners  (Read 20080 times)
centerofeffort42
Boat builder
Regular

Boat Type: C&C 34R, Peterson 25

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 03:57:00 am »

I have wondered if any one would jump on this thread with comments, questions, are just disapproval of the idea of talking about IOR boats. From my above posts a reader can't avoid gathering I remain a fan of this fleet. 

In a way this boat is a good example of my point. For  this 1985 boat posted in 48*North magazine at $139,000.00 this boat looks like a value item. I have no personal knowledge of this boat, and only because of this web sit, "Sailboat Data" can I offer an opinion of it.

So, first if you like the looks of the boat at this price and could afford it why not go for it ?  You well have a stunning boat to cruise out here to Port Townsend, Our Gulf Islands, and visit English bay in Vancouver, B.C.,,, Hawaii!

However, consider these benchmarks.  Are you young are old, Are you an experienced sailor, are new to sailing??? From this understanding your fit with the boat depends on  these facts,  This boat is big, it well need crew.  This boat was not designed for Puget Sound.  SD's drawing shows a fractional rigged power plant, not good for Puget Sound. Because of our light air sailing, this feature alone can spoil one's sailing up here. "For ever".  At 18.+ the boat has a low Sail A. to Disp. ratio for this area.

It is this facet, sail area not having a fat IOR style hull form one must consider.  If you want to do a little racing good on you, but do not expect to bring home silver ware, yet,you well get experience, and knowledge.

In the same  48*North you well find a 1978 Peterson, Islander 40 with enormous racing potional at $72,000.00.  With a good crew this is a fast boat but it's also a  heavy boat. These twenty year old boats came out of a much cheaper labor environment.  Here, you get a lot of boat compared with today's much more expensive labor.   

In closing, I observe this forty footer may never have been an IOR boat only contemporary with them. It looks like a good ocean boat, skeg hung rudder, Controllable fractional rig, a nice fat stern for down wind work. In general a nice contemporary styled boat design.  A new boat of this bulk and style  today 250 to 350K. I see a 1985 J40 for 159K  This is a good time to get a boat!!!!!! You must know yourself, and fill that need.   

crm.

sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 03:00:04 pm »

I agree with you entirely. It looks similar to a Swan or SwedeYacht. Really heavy solid contruction. Maybe BASED on an IOR design but really heavy contruction with teak decks and a lot of furniture down below.  Not really for racing, especially, as you say, in light conditions. I should mention though, that some of the earlier production S&S designs, like the Tartan 41 ARE relatively fast in light air. It also helps if you have a favorable PHRF rating. (You probably would be racing PHRF). For me. personally, I would go for the Peterson/Islander.  Although it's unlikely that the standard of contruction is as high and you'd want to have one of these checked out thoroughly. But it does seem like the Avance, is a quality perfomance cruising boat that will take you anywhere in comfort.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length