Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2016, 10:09:02 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Seeking Rudder For 1977 Sun 27 by Sun Yachts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Seeking Rudder For 1977 Sun 27 by Sun Yachts  (Read 3576 times)
Sun 27
Owner s/v Cherub
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Sun 27 Sailing Sloop

Owner/Skipper Sun 27 - AKA Sun 838 & Sun 28

« on: September 05, 2009, 03:40:48 am »

Howdy,

My rudder sheared off and I need a new or used rudder for a 1977 Sun 27 by Sun Yachts.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Sun 27

"That which doesn't kill you -  makes you stronger."
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 09:28:14 am »

Someone else asked a similar question recently.

http://www.sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?topic=182.0

rb
centerofeffort42
Boat builder
Regular

Boat Type: C&C 34R, Peterson 25

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 11:05:54 pm »

As Sun 27 may already know these Washington state boats were made by Reinell, powers boats from a Monk design. As such are long out of business. All  tooling is deep in the Marysville, Wa. land fill. 

While working for San Juan / Janco plastics,  I often priced our replacement rudders by calling a small plastics shop in Florida. They worked with Hunter boats, by doing there production boat rudders as a sub contractor.  Hunter boats suggested I directly contact this company for a replacement rudder and prices.  So, If a near match can be found ; stock Dia., and length,  blade area go for it.   Most builders sell you a rudder. Be expecting to pay $1500.to $2000.   

crm
P.S.  I am flabbergasted. I have just noticed a few postings below this Sun27. post  Sonosail has all the info you may need. I though I had the good stuff, however, "Sailboat Data" already has the good Link for you.  These Florida people are good to work with. Custom builders are very expensive.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 11:27:37 pm by centerofeffort42 » Logged
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 08:58:39 am »

You do have the 'good stuff'.  A whole new connection that I never even knew about.
So Reinell was the builder of the Perry designed Sun 27-28-838 ?

And then, from what I was told, they purchased some of the AMI molds?
And then there was the bigger Sun 1030 (different builder?) which became the San Juan 34.
Not exactly a hot topic to most people but, if you trim your sails right, you shouldn't need a rudder. And you can always lash an oar to the stern.

Then there is another REALLY obscure builder that is was somewhere in your neck of the woods. Northwest Yacht Contructors.  but I'll save that for another day.

If you get a chance then.

rb
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length