Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 01:38:23 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  Information Wanted
| | |-+  Ralph E. Winslow boat plans
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ralph E. Winslow boat plans  (Read 2852 times)
zydny
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: none

« on: September 04, 2013, 07:38:51 pm »

I'm searching for information about some boat plans that I was given by an elderly relative.  (I know comparatively little about sailboats and nothing whatsoever about boat plans so bear with me.)

The boat plans were purchased from the widow of Ralph E. Winslow in 1961, and I have an original letter written by her.  There are two plans:  one is for Jr. Seagoer and the other is (I believe) Arpeggio. 

I looked in the database on this site and found Mr. Winslow but did not see mention of either of these two styles of boat.  Perhaps I might be able to some information from the plans could be useful for your database here (if I knew what sort of stuff would be considered worthwhile).

Were boats ever made from plans by these names?  Mrs. Winslow seems to indicate in her letter that a number of Jr. Seagoers were built.  Do plans like these have value?  Any information would be helpful.

thanks

sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 10:13:47 am »

I'm searching for information about some boat plans that I was given by an elderly relative.  (I know comparatively little about sailboats and nothing whatsoever about boat plans so bear with me.)

The boat plans were purchased from the widow of Ralph E. Winslow in 1961, and I have an original letter written by her.  There are two plans:  one is for Jr. Seagoer and the other is (I believe) Arpeggio. 

I looked in the database on this site and found Mr. Winslow but did not see mention of either of these two styles of boat.  Perhaps I might be able to some information from the plans could be useful for your database here (if I knew what sort of stuff would be considered worthwhile).

Were boats ever made from plans by these names?  Mrs. Winslow seems to indicate in her letter that a number of Jr. Seagoers were built.  Do plans like these have value?  Any information would be helpful.

thanks

Nice to hear from you. 
Ralph Winslow was an important figure in the history of yacht design during this period, as best I can tell. (he also designed ships, for both wars too)
Before setting out on his own, he worked for all the other notables of the period, .. Herreshoff, Crowninshield etc....

I have only included him in the database for this reason, because there is no  Winslow design that that I know of,  that was built in great numbers though many were published in Yachting and Rudder magazine.
I would like to know more about these plans you have and would like to include them here.
Are you aware that there is a Winslow archive at the Mystic Seaport Museum? This is probably where the physical plans belong.
I don't think they have monetary value, except possibly as a tax deduction.

It's very difficult to find out how many boats of these designs were built. But if were to add the 'Seagoer', for example,  I may hear from someone who had one, or who's father built one etc....

I do get a lot of this. (Unfortunately through private Email,  and I thank you for making your inquiry here in this forum. )

At any rate, I would very much like to learn more about the plans you have.

Best Regards,
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT USA
sailboatdata.com
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 11:50:15 am »

The JUNIOR SEAGOER is included in the archive.   ca. 1948.

rb
malk
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Ralph E. Winslow Junior Seagoer

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 09:35:20 pm »

Apologies for my late post.

My father owned a Junior Seagoer from 1970 onwards.  The ketch "Nagada" was built in Madang, Papua New Guinea by Eddie Haering who built it for his personal use and then onsold to my father. Nagada was constructed of kwili frames and garamut planking. Nagada's plans note that the design was published in Boats magazine in 1955.

We sailed Nagada from Madang to Port Moresby in PNG, and later from Port Moresby to Brisbane Australia in 1974.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length