Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 05:14:35 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  What is it? (Mystery Sailboat model)
| | |-+  picked up a sailing dinghy in the Apostle Islands
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: picked up a sailing dinghy in the Apostle Islands  (Read 1555 times)
oldmanriver1951
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Penguin Racing Dinghy Skaneatles 11"

« on: August 05, 2016, 05:24:28 pm »

I swore I would not buy a boat...but this sweet little sailing dinghy called to me today. Don't know how correct the info I've rcv'd, but the guys an old salt, and seems very knowledgeable, but looking for info has been at odds with our 'reality....so here goes.It's a Penguin Racing Dinghy, 11 ft. long transom to bow. All wood, wood mast, wood oars, 3 sails, 2 cotton and one dacron, complete down to original oarlocks. Bow badge looks quite old and lists Skaneatles as the builder, nothing really wrong other than a bit of sanding and varnishing needed. He mentioned something along the lines of 'designed by one of the Herreshoff clan...but unsure...even had the rigging detail sheets. Will try to post a picture .....any information would be greatly appreciated..
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 10:50:08 am »

I swore I would not buy a boat...but this sweet little sailing dinghy called to me today. Don't know how correct the info I've rcv'd, but the guys an old salt, and seems very knowledgeable, but looking for info has been at odds with our 'reality....so here goes.It's a Penguin Racing Dinghy, 11 ft. long transom to bow. All wood, wood mast, wood oars, 3 sails, 2 cotton and one dacron, complete down to original oarlocks. Bow badge looks quite old and lists Skaneatles as the builder, nothing really wrong other than a bit of sanding and varnishing needed. He mentioned something along the lines of 'designed by one of the Herreshoff clan...but unsure...even had the rigging detail sheets. Will try to post a picture .....any information would be greatly appreciated..

They were designed by Rhodes.  A class association still exists and they still race them on the east coast USA.
http://www.sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=3167
oldmanriver1951
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Penguin Racing Dinghy Skaneatles 11"

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 04:15:40 pm »

Thanks for the reply....enjoying the search...and soon the water....appreciate it!!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length