Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2016, 08:21:05 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  What is it? (Mystery Sailboat model)
| | |-+  Help to identify a trailer sailer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help to identify a trailer sailer  (Read 10574 times)
MarkHandley1969
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Trailer Sailer

« on: September 15, 2009, 07:43:22 am »

I am in the process of refurbishing a trailer sailer but I have no idea what make it is, I have searched the sailboat database and unless I have missed it I can't find it, if anybody has an idea of what make it is then please could you tell me. It was sold to me as a 21' sailboat, however when I measured it, it is approx 18'  hope you can help - kind regards Mark
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 10:12:08 am »

Are you in the US?
If that's the case, it looks like a boat built by Tylercraft:
http://www.sailboatdata.com/view_BUILDER.asp?Builder_ID=86
Take a look at the resemblance to the Tylercraft 24. I don't have a picture or a drawing of the 21. There were some other models which I haven't included since I've never found any reliable information about them.
One of those very early builders of FRP sailboats that I would really love to know more about.
Still just a guess. 

rb
MarkHandley1969
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 12:17:28 am »

Hi, thankyou for your reply, I am in the United kingdom, The only history I know of the boat is that the it's name is 'Janique'. I think you are right in that it looks a bit like the Tylercraft , however I was told it was 21' but when I measured the LOA it was approx 18' I took my measurment on the hull only and did not included handrails etc (is this the correct way to measure the LOA?) - I will measure the beam as well and let you know what it is - if there is any further help you can give me, it would be most appreciated - regards Mark
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 10:16:02 am »

So you're not seeing any manufacturers label of any kind or even a hull #? (There has to a hull # somewhere, although they are sometimes hard to locate. On the inside of the transom is a place they sometimes hide it.)
How about a date? Do you have an approximate date?
I'm assuming this is FRP contruction.  Any other clues would be helpful.
So far I'm not the only one that is completely stumped.
LOA, technically is the length including all 'appendages' such as pulpits etc. , although manufacturers don't universally list it this way.

If you find out anything let me know.

rb
Davefromaine
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Sailstar Meteor 14' daysailor

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 07:03:19 am »

Could it be a Signet 20?  I saw a twin-keel Signet for sale up here in Maine:

http://unclehenrys.com/CLASSIFIEDS/Search/ExhibitDetail.aspx?ExhibitID=-2135092965&ishistoricsearch=N&ReturnPage=%2fClassifieds%2fSearch%2fResults.aspx%3fSearchID%3d50208346%26SearchResultIndex%3d0%26ishistoricsearch%3dN%23

The other Signets I've seen on line are single keel - maybe this fellow in Maine selling his is mistaken?

Dave in Maine
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 10:33:28 am »

I does look SOMETHING like a Signet but the sheerline is really different.  I do think you are on the right track though.  It might be a sort of 'transitional' Hurley model. (Alacrity/Vivacity etc.)  If you haven't already, I suggest contacting the people at the Hurley owners website. If it is a Hurley, or a Hurley 'variant',  they will know.

rb
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 11:43:37 am »

Well Dave, you were right on the money after all. This boat is indeed a SIGNET 20. Sent the photo to the best authority on Hurley Yachts and he says it's without question a later version of the Signet 20. And Mark was spot on with his measurement.  It IS 19' long.  Apparently the builder, George Hurley, owned one of these.
How did you know it was a Signet 20?
I'm appointing you mystery solver in residence for sailboatdata.com.
Just hope Mark gets back to us.

rb

Davefromaine
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Sailstar Meteor 14' daysailor

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 11:37:35 am »

Randy - very cool!  I don't know what made me dig back into the internet advertisements for that Signet 20 in Maine - probably because I've been looking at 18'-20' boats for so long to replace my little day sailer.  That Signet caught my eye, but not quite the boat my wife wants.  She'd like for us to remain trailer-sailers, so a swing keel boat like an Oday Mariner is most likely in our future.  (That is when she lets loose with the purse strings!)
Dave
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 01:22:34 pm »

Forgot to thank Nick Vass, expert on Hurleys (as well as many other boats, especially from the UK), for making the positive ID. Nick is a yacht surveyor and author. His columns appear in a number of sailing magazines over there. (also moderator for the HOA web site.)
Now to solve our other Hurley related mystery.  Let see if our other in residence experts can figure this one out so we can save Nick for those most baffleing, truly ineffable subjects. Or just submit the photo to the Hurley Yahoo group and see what they can come up with. This one I really DON'T think is a Hurley, but I was wrong the last time.

rb
MarkHandley1969
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 01:46:57 am »

All, thank you so much for your help, I am really impressedwith the work you have done to identify her. I have been very busy getting her ready to launch, will send in the photos as soon as she is complete - thanks agan Mark
MarkHandley1969
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 10:06:20 am »

Hi, I'm back again, it seems that the identy of this boat is not afterall a Signet 20. a kind gentleman called Nik (nicholas.mingo@talktalk.net) has identified her as a valiant18 , he was also happy to leave his email if there are any questions - Kind Regards Mark Handley
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 06:00:04 pm »

Wow! So we gave you the wrong info. My UK guy was completely wrong.
So I've had a chance to find what little information about this boat is available, and it does look like a match. So I'm curious. Does this guy have any more information about this boat?
At any rate, thanks for getting back to us on this.

Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com

Hi, I'm back again, it seems that the identy of this boat is not afterall a Signet 20. a kind gentleman called Nik (nicholas.mingo@talktalk.net) has identified her as a valiant18 , he was also happy to leave his email if there are any questions - Kind Regards Mark Handley
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 02:19:45 pm »

Here's part of the original brochure for the Valiant 18.
Updated record at: http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_ID=6301

rb
MarkHandley1969
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 07:05:58 am »

Hi All,
It has been a while now but here are some pictures from the original brochure
Regards
Mark
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 11:51:00 am »

Hi All,
It has been a while now but here are some pictures from the original brochure
Regards
Mark
Can't remember if I thank you for this before. If I did, thanks again.

Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length