Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2016, 05:05:10 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  What is it? (Mystery Sailboat model)
| | |-+  Is this a hurley 1973?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is this a hurley 1973?  (Read 4810 times)
dwiisser
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: 1973 Hurley

« on: September 30, 2009, 06:06:03 pm »

Hello
I just purchased this boat and t has no paper work.....the only thing  i have is it has been said is, its a hurley 1973 sailboat (16.8 feet) with a cabin and a 9.8 merc outboard,main sail. Any info would be help full

Thank you
David

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 10:18:30 am by sonosail » Logged
Barney Post
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 08:55:58 am »

Don't recognize it as any of the Hurleys listed here. (which doesn't mean it isn't one).  I haven't seen one with the lapstrake 'style' (assuming it's FRP contruction) hull. Check with the Hurley owners association web site (UK). The address is listed here.  They WILL know. They have the history of nearly every boat the company ever built. There is also a Yahoo group for Hurley owners. (I believe it's moderated by the same guy.)
It might help also if you can get a slightly better picture or even more than one.
If I come across some better information, I'll let you know. I would like to know, myself, if it's model / variant that I'm not aware of.

Regards,
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT USA
sailboatdata.com

The address of the Hurely web site is:
www.hurleyownersassociation.co.uk

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 02:00:47 pm by dwiisser » Logged
dwiisser
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 07:11:18 pm »

Randy

Thank you for the info....I will post more pcs over the weekend.This sailboat  is now on a trailer in my yard and will take some more pics,thanks again.\

Dave
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 01:41:02 pm »

Pictures are good. Weren't any lapstrake Hurleys.  So far, no leads.  Are you SURE there is no label or hull number anywhere?  this is a tough one!

rb
dwiisser
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 02:05:52 pm »

rb

I Have looked everywhere ....no luck.....took the motor off and behind that was a piece of wood and found nothing..... forward pics to some friends and still waiting for a  response...I have written the New jersey motor vehicle for the past register's owner  for the hull # (it may not be on there)

I put this in the water a few days ago and found nothing as far as names and such on the Mass,main sail,or jib,or Rutter.

I guess old books,or older sailer may have info......I will look in the library and see what  fnd..

Thanks
Dave
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 12:07:45 pm »

If it was registered with sticker and all that, (as it seems to have been), it HAS to have a hull #. The hull # may not provide the answer, but it would be a start. Do you have a title?
I would think it would be on the title too.
dwiisser
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 12:20:34 pm »

The numbers and sticker on this vessel belong to another vessel.the person before me had info form the person before him.....

So  ran those numbers and waiting for the motor vehicle to respond to the real last register owner.....to get in contact with them.......

My application for this vessel is for" Abanned vessel"

With the last registered owner should have a hull #.....

Thanks dave
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 11:13:35 am »

It's a SEAHAWK 17, built in the UK, to the design of John Bennet. (probably in the early 1970's)   In fact there is whole website that covers it's history, and shows some of the orginal promotional literature etc.
http://www.seahawk17.plus.com.  There is no doubt.  This is your boat.
dwiisser
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 02:45:01 pm »

rb

THANK YOU!!

David Wisser
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 09:32:44 am »

I received an email from the guy with the Seahawk web site. (Greg, I believe)
He sent me an article about the Designer, John Bennet.  So we sort of both made out on this one.

rb
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length