Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 06, 2016, 08:56:53 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  Sailboats of France (old & new)
| | |-+  epinaute shellfish
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: epinaute shellfish  (Read 4878 times)
starlightjose
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: epinaute

« on: October 04, 2009, 09:24:50 am »

hello, does anyone know or own an EPINAUTE SHELLFISH sailing boat. It was built in 1968 with fiber hull in France. I have own it for 15 years. Thanks  8)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 11:17:49 am by sonosail » Logged
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 09:52:56 am »

I've heard of this builder, and I wish I knew more. They must have been one of the earliest builders of FRP boats.   I've seen a picture of one particular model that seemed as though it was around 26 feet.  My knowledge of the french language is not so good, But I think they are somewhat rare?
Do you have a picture that shows what the whole boat look like? 

Regards,
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT USA
sailboatdadta.com
starlightjose
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: epinaute

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 10:58:46 am »

Thank you for your reply. You are right, I think it is one of the earliest FRP boats. I have been told by a friend that you are more likely to find this kind of boat in the Med, south of France and Italy. Mine is in the Canary Islands ( Las Palmas ). I am attaching a picture of my boat, I hope you recognize it.

Regards,
Jose Monzon
Las Palmas
Canary Islands
Spain
Cormorant
Member Emeritus

Boat Type: Jouët Caprice, Vaurien

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 12:48:10 pm »

Just FYI, there is a magazine "Ce que vous devez savoir" (things that you should know) that discusses how Constructions Nautiques du Sud-Ouest, or NAMBLA  ;), used épikote resin (a Shell brand) in the construction of their boats (they had an arrangement with Shell Chemical, who in turn helped advertise their boats). You can order it a bit everywhere, such as on amazon. They were building fiberglass boats way back, and so what they were doing was noteworthy.

Incidentally, you can see a complete list of all the boats by CNSO at the following page:
http://navigateur.info/samourai/cnso.html  (I hope I didn't just give Randy a load of work there... )

While I'm on that, CNSO was created in 1960 and was located funny enough in Lot et Garonne, at Bon-Encontre. So yeah, not on the coast (it's pretty damn close to being in the middle of France). Must have been cheaper. Anyway, they closed in 82 (the 80's were hell for boat manufactures in France *ahem* Yaching France *ahem*. On another strange topic, aside from your Shell Fish, the Super Dorade and the Deck-Saloon, all their boats has Japanese names. How neat would it be to have a dinghy called "Sushi"  :D

You can find quite a few forum threads on French forums of owners of these boats, but if there is some particular piece of info you have a hard time finding, just let me know, and I'll see if I can dig it up.

BTW, the design is by François Sergent, a very famous sailboat architect here in France.  Neat page on him: http://www.avironmarseillanais.com/Planssergent0.html

« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 12:59:16 pm by Cormorant » Logged

I'd rather be sailing
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 12:37:27 pm »

Great stuff. Have to check my dates for CNSO.  Amazingly enough I have a small, probably inadequate blurb on F. Sargent.  Skimming through some French sites, I've seen mention of some sort of event, probably already passed, celebrating his career.
Let me  look at the links that you have provided. Most valuable.

Thanks.

rb
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length