Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 09, 2016, 06:04:15 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  Information Wanted
| | |-+  Kendall / Westsail 32' (how many Kendall 32 was really built)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kendall / Westsail 32' (how many Kendall 32 was really built)  (Read 6827 times)
number1dock
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Kendall 32

« on: November 04, 2008, 12:54:08 am »

I was built only 8 Kendall-32. Last one is in 1971 and not even finished. I own the very last one  hull #9 (?). Completely factory finished. Built in !!! 1974 !!! by one of the Westsail workers that used to work for Larry Kendall. She was built for him from Kendall hull on Wastsail manufacturing plant.  She is like 5-star hotel inside! and 1 1/4 " thick solid glass hull, flash deck, cutter with tan bark sails. One of a kind!
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 05:04:18 pm »

I forgot if I replied, but in case I didn't, thanks very much for the photo.  So the Kendalls didn't have the same trunk cabin as the Westsails? 
Could I use your photo for the Kendall record?

Thanks
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT
GitaneCrew
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 12:48:17 pm »

Nice looking Kendall number1dock! It's great to see different pictures of these rare boats.  We own one as well, but heard a different story of hull numbers from former Westsail GM Bud Taplin.  According to him there were 31 hulls built by Kendall that were considered Kendall 32s when completed. Ours is hull number 23. (It's the Kendall pictured on the Westsail 32 wikipedia page.)  8 very well may have been the number of boats fully completed by the Kendall operation before they went belly up.
Hope this helps Sonosail.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 10:53:07 am by GitaneCrew » Logged
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 01:32:02 pm »

Thanks very much. I will modify record accordingly.

Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT

Nice looking Kendall number1dock! It's great to see different pictures of these rare boats.  We own one as well, but heard a different story of hull numbers from former Westsail GM Bud Taplin.  According to him there were 25 hulls built by Kendall (numbered 0-24) that were considered Kendall 32s when completed. Ours is hull number 23. (It's the Kendall pictured on the Westsail 32 wikipedia page.)  8 very well may have been the number of boats fully completed by the Kendall operation before they went belly up.
Hope this helps Sonosail.
Adam
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Herreshoff Cape Cod 30/Blue Chip

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 12:37:04 pm »

Beautiful hull!
GitaneCrew
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 11:03:23 am »

For what its worth, I discovered that I'd remembered Bud Taplin's response about the number of Kendall's incorrectly, and edited my above post slightly to reflect the number more accurately and not put words in his mouth.  He discussed the number of Kendalls in a thread on the WOA message board, which can be found at:

http://www.westsail.org/discus/messages/24/734.html?1155169022
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length