Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 03, 2016, 08:53:05 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  Information Wanted
| | |-+  Owners Manual & info on Sailstar "Starfire"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Owners Manual & info on Sailstar "Starfire"  (Read 6631 times)
RDB
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Sailstar "Starfire"

« on: October 17, 2009, 07:54:09 am »

I've lost the manual on this 17' baby & would have liked to pass it along to its new owners. The boat was rather unique for me in that it had an insertable keel & 275lbs of insertable weights for the keel.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 09:25:11 am »

Thanks. I thought I had the Sailstar lineup figured out. (with some help from Dave from Maine) The primary 17' model they built was the Explorer (alleged to be a copy of the O'Day Daysailor). Then there was a keel version called the Pioneer. (very rare I think). This doesn't look like the same hull, although it's a little hard to tell. And this one originally had come kind of drop keel?
I have attached a drawing of the Explorer here which you may have already seen. Is that the original sail?
If so, it looks like a 'W' on it??  Do you have a any dimensions on it, or know what year it was built?
Again, much appreciated.
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT
sailboatdata.com

I've lost the manual on this 17' baby & would have liked to pass it along to its new owners. The boat was rather unique for me in that it had an insertable keel & 275lbs of insertable weights for the keel.
RDB
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 01:52:58 pm »

Randy...Dick Breen here, about the Sailstar "Starfire". I have a mess of pics about it especially the keel if you are interested. Sorry for the long delay.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 05:30:09 pm »

Yes, thanks.  Whatever you have would be much appreciated.
Unfortunately the attachment function here doesn't seem to working too well.
If you don't mind, you could send it to my regular Email address:
randyfromsono@gmail.com

Regards
Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com

Randy...Dick Breen here, about the Sailstar "Starfire". I have a mess of pics about it especially the keel if you are interested. Sorry for the long delay.
RDB
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 12:14:34 pm »

Pics on their way, I hope.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 02:18:59 pm »

From what I can tell, the STARFIRE, besides the unique keel configuration and taller rig,  is a different hull from the other 17 footers in the Sailstar line. Looking at the Explorer 17, and comparing it to your photos, the bow, sheer and everything seems to be different.
I'm wondering if you have ever found another Starfire owner. This has to be an extremely rare model. I wish we still had that manual.
rb
RDB
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 02:53:58 pm »

I  contacted a few clubs and marinas and was never able to find another Starfire nor anyone who was familiar with them. I had the manual and sent it up to a nephew along with ther boat for his use. The manual got lost. Rats
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 07:22:20 am »

Of course you realize this document was only slightly less important than the Magna Carta. Still, I forgive you! As you can tell, I do tend to get carried away with this stuff.

rb
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 09:19:03 am »

Thanks. I thought I had the Sailstar lineup figured out. (with some help from Dave from Maine) The primary 17' model they built was the Explorer (alleged to be a copy of the O'Day Daysailor). Then there was a keel version called the Pioneer. (very rare I think). This doesn't look like the same hull, although it's a little hard to tell. And this one originally had come kind of drop keel?
I have attached a drawing of the Explorer here which you may have already seen. Is that the original sail?
If so, it looks like a 'W' on it??  Do you have a any dimensions on it, or know what year it was built?
Again, much appreciated.
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT
sailboatdata.com

Despite the age of this message I just need to establish the fact that this is almost certainly a WILDFIRE designed by Ian Proctor.  Besides the insignia, the dead givaway is the hollow daggerboard into which, varying amounts of lead shot is dropped. In all probability a very small number were imported to the US by George O'Day.

Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
sunbird10201
Member Emeritus

Boat Type: Sailboat, O'DAY DS II

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 10:22:29 am »

Randy, here is some more info to back up your conclusion..

WILDFIRE listing in the book, "Sailing Boats of the World" by Rhonda Budd (1974)

STARFIRE part of an 1964 SAILSTAR magazine ad
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 10:52:15 am »

Randy, here is some more info to back up your conclusion..

WILDFIRE listing in the book, "Sailing Boats of the World" by Rhonda Budd (1974)

STARFIRE part of an 1964 SAILSTAR magazine ad

Yes, thanks.
Extremely interesting book. (actually I have 2 copies,...WHY, I don't know)
I have to say that some of the drawings, especially of boats built in the US are comical.
I have the WILDFIRE listed. I think that very few were imported to the US. Probably by George O'Day.
There was another Dinghy called the Vulcan, by Peter Milne, employing the same hollow keel concept  with the lead shot idea. Neither one ever sold very well.
I wasn't ever sure that the Meteor was actually the same hull design as the Explorer so I haven't listed it.  I think I saw some very basic dimensions listed for the Meteor that didn't seem to match.
Always the skeptic. I know the Pioneer is, (besides the keel) because the brochure specifically says so.
Both seem to be extremely rare.
Once again, your contributions are greatly appreciated.

Randy Browning
sunbird10201
Member Emeritus

Boat Type: Sailboat, O'DAY DS II

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 09:51:29 pm »

"Extremely interesting book. (actually I have 2 copies,...WHY, I don't know)
I have to say that some of the drawings, especially of boats built in the US are comical"

Comical is the understatement of the Year! Take a look at their listing for the FINN! Even better is the DRAGON, but even that pales in comparison to the NAPLE SABOT.... sure don't look like the NAPLES SABOTs that I've seen! I could go on..... but I won't...

If you have 2 copies, and they are (or at least one is?) in good condition, treat them well! I was in a used book store in Hyannis, MA a few years ago (Columbia Trading) and was shocked to see a price of $40 (might have been more?) on a copy! I think I paid about $7.99 at Walden Books back in 1977!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length