Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2016, 08:11:56 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  IOR Boats
| | |-+  Rob Humphries 'Jade' 1 ton for sale on Ebay
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rob Humphries 'Jade' 1 ton for sale on Ebay  (Read 8172 times)
sonosail
Administrator

« on: October 20, 2009, 11:21:42 am »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/40-FT-HUMPHREYS-JADE-RACING-SAILBOAT-1983-LEGEND_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dSIQ26ituQ3dUCIQ252BUAQ252BFICSQ26otnQ3d12Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d54QQ_trksidZp3907Q2em263QQcategoryZ63731QQitemZ350264847840
centerofeffort42
Boat builder
Regular

Boat Type: C&C 34R, Peterson 25

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 01:04:27 pm »

HELLO RANDY.

What a find!!!!!!!!!    When I went to England in December, 1986, the first spot I headed for was Portsmouth naval yard and HMS Victory, next was Lymington, Hampshire's marina, and the Berthon sales yard to see Jade.

High on the IOR racing at the time Seahorse magazine mentioned all the Admirals Cup boats were lined up for sale.  Getting into town late at nite and yet easly found the water front, Berthon's Used boat sales.   There sat Jade, all white at the Time, with it's small  Micky Mouse ear keel, and purposeful elliptical rudder.  It was loaded on a transport truck ready to go some where?  The next morning after breakfast I was all set to examine this World class race boat. Down to the waterfront and it was gone.

Some one well get a fine boat.  The first "successful boat" from a given designer was often very sweet.  The list of this fact is long.Take a look at "Summer Time Dream"  by Carl Schumacher.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 01:16:05 pm by centerofeffort42 » Logged
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 06:47:35 pm »

Wow. sounds like a great trip. Did you do any sailing over there?
I think they had Rodney Pattison driving with the initial campaign.  That's would have been enough for a big head start! I wonder if this guy actually will be able to sell it though.  Takes too many people to really sail the thing. A lot of equipment to keep up for just a day sailor.
Need to get back to you.  Had some other questions to ask.
Great stuff.
Talk to you later.
rb
centerofeffort42
Boat builder
Regular

Boat Type: C&C 34R, Peterson 25

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 03:54:10 pm »

Hello Randy,

For me 50% of having a boat like this is the contact high from just exploring the boat.  Next, the question is how did it sailed so dominantly!  Man, years of enjoyment playing with this boat.  At the price listed on EBay you could not go wrong.

On "competing" with this boat, I offer this example.  A fellow Everett, WA. sailor bought an IOR mark III one tonner, called "Kentucky Woman".  A late Peterson GT IOR boat. 39 footer  the same level of boat  as Jade. It is a light disp.,  long water line, wide stern boat supporting a racing fractional rigged sail plane. The owner has sailed and raced it for the past twenty years. The owner rarely finishes in the top of his PHRF class.

Over time he has enjoyed this boat with large hull side graphic lettering " K. W."making it a target for J-Boats, and Benttoe's in his class.  All smaller, and mast head rigged boats that  out perform his boat.  He is not out sailed.  Race day finishes are controlled by the environment of PHRF, and sailing a light air region.   If he sailed San Francisco, his story may be much different. 

If a sailor is a TECHNOCRACT , not a YACHTPERSON these IOR boats are very enjoyable, demanding, and sometimes frustrating.  I knew a Boeing machinist that worked the 747 line.  A technocrat, drove a big BMW .  He sailed a 1969 Santana 27.  The man was unbeatable and when racing in Seattle, well  "La Dam Del  Mare" was a spoiler of the highest order. If his life's timing placed him in say a half tonner, look out.  He came close to doing it but just said "I'm to old for that kind of effort." 

Yes, I got a Tuesday pick up ride on a Sigma 33 out of Gosport, across the bay from Portsmouth. We four went out, and the wind went away.  It is staggering what an ebb tide comes pouring out of that bay.

crm
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 03:28:59 pm »

Well. the place you could go wrong is having to pay to keep it somewhere.  But you'd have to do that with any boat of this size. It's just that, around here, the purchase price of the boat is relatively insignificant compared to what you to pay for all the other stuff.
But your're right.  I have a 83 3/4 tonner.  It's really only for people who are constantly tweaking this and that.  You need to pay attention to mainsail shape all the time (runner and check) or you really won't ever get up to speed. But once you do that, it easily beats a J 100 (with 150 %LP), except for off the wind sailing when the wind is over 20. I only mention the 100 because that's our main competition. Not because it's that great a boat. But the design is 25 years newer.
And now I've forgotten wether this has anything at all to do with your original post!

rb
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length