Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 06, 2016, 09:00:32 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Pathfinder Diesel Engine
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pathfinder Diesel Engine  (Read 3074 times)
VaisaTortoise
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Cal 39

« on: October 23, 2009, 07:52:14 am »

Does anyone know the Pathfinder Diesel Engine?

The engine overheats immediately upon warm-up, the cooling system is in good working order, thermostat opens @ like 180 deg., coolant level = full up to the cap.

Engine is a marinized 1981 Volkswagen Dasher Diesel car engine and is found in some Cal 39s, among others.

Greg
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 09:06:12 am »

Probably can't tell you anything you don't already know. People either love them or hate them. They were favored on a lot on racing boats at one time because of small size and low weight. And they ARE known for overheating and being hard to work on.  The company still exists I believe, in Canada. And supposedly they have a good customer service dept.  You just need a mechanic that knows this particular engine.  There's a guy around that works on them who used to be a VW mechanic. Most likely that won't help you much.
I also heard there are a number of upgrades available to the cooling system that can cure this problem, but I know nothing about the details. If you haven't already tried talking to the people in Canada, that's what I would look into first.
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 09:32:56 am »

Last contact information: Not sure  if anyone is still there:
Address: 16753 boul Hymus
Kirkland, QC,
H9H 3L4 
Phone: 514-695-6676
Fax: 514-695-1086
Pages: [1] Go Up Print