Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 06, 2016, 07:07:22 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  34' Islander
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 34' Islander  (Read 2943 times)
jazzer
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Islander

« on: October 25, 2009, 05:44:02 pm »

Hi everyone!  I'm a new member and hopefully a boat owner in the near future.  I've been looking at a 1969 Islander 34 and my search for information relevant to that specific boat is hard to come by.  Lots of stuff out there for the Islander 36, but the 34.... ??

I would really like info on the systems.  The boat is pretty much stock (I think) and has a Perkins 30hp diesel and wheel steering. 

My real concern is what potential problem areas there may be that I should be looking for.  Sailing characteristics info. as well any first hand (or second hand, for that matter!) general impressions would be welcome.  Thanks in advance for any help. 
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 10:41:04 am »

They are rare.  I think it's basically an Islander 32 with a bowsprit???  The origins of the design are somewhat mysterious. The 32 mold was probably made from one of Joe McGlassons wood boats. (the design of which has been credited to either Alden or Lapworth) Does the hull have that  pseudo planking ?
I've sailed on the Islander 32 a few times. Sails pretty well and it is SOLID. Has a reputation as being very seaworthy etc.  The guy I know is the ORIGINAL owner. (he's in his late 80's now). The engine hasn't worked in years, so he SAILS in and out of a very narrow slip. Amazing.
I think there is an Islander owners group somewhere. They built alot of the 32's and 33's. (33 was the raised deck version I think) 
Of course it is a 40 yr. old boats so you do want to have everything thoroughly checked out so you know what you're getting into.
I'd be interested in hearing how it works out.

Regards,
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT
sailboatdata.com

Hi everyone!  I'm a new member and hopefully a boat owner in the near future.  I've been looking at a 1969 Islander 34 and my search for information relevant to that specific boat is hard to come by.  Lots of stuff out there for the Islander 36, but the 34.... ??

I would really like info on the systems.  The boat is pretty much stock (I think) and has a Perkins 30hp diesel and wheel steering. 

My real concern is what potential problem areas there may be that I should be looking for.  Sailing characteristics info. as well any first hand (or second hand, for that matter!) general impressions would be welcome.  Thanks in advance for any help.
jazzer
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Islander

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 10:07:51 am »

Thanks, sonosail, for the response.  You're right, it really is a solid boat.  It does have the planking/lapstrake impressions in the fiberglass hull - as you indicated.  You are also correct in that it has a wooden bowsprit that couldn't extend much more that a foot or so.  That being the case, you thing it may be a 33?  That may explain why the interior doesn't feel like a 34.  Perhaps the thing to do would be to search the 32's and 33's if it's the same boat with a bowsprit added.   
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 11:09:42 am »

I think it's only the basic hull that probably came from the same mold. The deck, coachroof, etc. all seem to be different. Even the rudder is different from the 32 and 33. I suspect there are differences in the interior also.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length