Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 09, 2016, 04:11:20 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  Information Wanted
| | |-+  Carter Offshore Ltd. Competition 30
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carter Offshore Ltd. Competition 30  (Read 3574 times)
spidey1170
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Carter Competition 30

« on: November 10, 2008, 01:43:24 am »

Hello!  I'm trying to find more information on a sailboat my wife & I just purchased, but am having no luck.  If anybody has any leads or specifics, we would really appreciate it.  Here's the info we've found:

Maker: Carter Offshore Ltd.
Year: 1974
Model: Competition 30
Hull #: 28
Designer: Dick Carter

I've seen pictures of the Carter 30 and, although it closely resembles that model, it is not the same.  We need to order some sails & other gear (standing rigging, etc.) & would like to do so with the exact numbers.  Hence our search =)

Thank you in advance!
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 12:07:13 pm »

Thanks for registering.
For rigging and sails, you ALWAYS want to measure your boat directly (or have a rigger or sailmaker do it) and NEVER rely on specifications from a brochure, plans etc. Rig dimensons can vary widely between boats of a particular class.

I have a friend who used to have a Carter 30 and it was a great boat; (Solid! and sailed best in a breeze).  I think his was built in Greece. How does the 'Competition' model differ?  I think Carter Offshore Ltd. was just the designers company through which he sold the boats but not sure. Do you know where yours was built?

Best of luck with the boat.

Regards,
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT
spidey1170
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Carter Competition 30

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 12:19:16 pm »

Thanks for the response... finding information on this boat has been difficult, if not impossible.

From what I can tell, the Competition 30 differs from the "regular" 30 in that it is a pure racer.  It has the "ice-skating rink" deck & is extremely Spartan down below, none of the niceties one would need to cruise (other than what has been installed by the 3 previous owners).

I've seen some information like you mention, that Dick Carter designed the boats & sold the designs to be built in several different places.  So, I'm not sure where this one was built.  According to the person I bought it from, he mentioned that it was built in Canada.  He's the 3rd owner, so I'm not sure if his information is reliable, but I'm checking.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length