Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2016, 01:36:59 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  Information Wanted
| | |-+  Eclipse Mk1 - Any out there ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eclipse Mk1 - Any out there ?  (Read 4239 times)
mike b
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Eclipse Mk I 21ft designed John Westell circa 1960

« on: November 03, 2009, 03:20:50 am »

I have an Eclipse MkI 21ft cold-moulded sloop designed by John Westell circa 1960 (505 designer I think). Having trawled the web there doesn't appear to be any mention of other Eclipses in existence (Other than Yelwarc in Totnes). any other owners out there ? or snippets of historical info ? Photo attached.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 07:29:13 pm »

I saw this boat for sale on a few brokerage sites. The only specific MENTION of any other boat by John Westell (besides 505) is a 1/4 tonner in the early 1970's. There were some other production glass fiber boats that he designed but, supposedly, none ever achieved any degree of popularity.(What I HEARD).
But no specifics. Try boatdesign.net.  There are some experts on really obscure boats there who might be able to tell you more.  Not much help, I'm afraid. 
I'd be very interested to know if you come up with anything.

Regards,
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT

I have an Eclipse MkI 21ft cold-moulded sloop designed by John Westell circa 1960 (505 designer I think). Having trawled the web there doesn't appear to be any mention of other Eclipses in existence (Other than Yelwarc in Totnes). any other owners out there ? or snippets of historical info ? Photo attached.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 10:27:50 am »

Thought I had a lead on this, didn't work out. 
This from Mike Davies of the UK (in the brokerage business for 30+ years).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Randy,

The Eclipse I list is a grp 22' designed by Ian Proctor and built by Newbridge Boats.
I know of the John Westell Eclipse - it was a cold moulded hull 21' 0" x 7' 0" x 1' 11"
but I have no brochure.

Regards,
Mike Davies
mike.davies43@btinternet.com
see:
www.yachtbrochures.co.uk
and
www.eastangliaboatbuilders.co.uk
Recording Essex & Suffolk Boatyards & Boat Builders
Sindia
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Eclipse Sloop

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 03:33:58 am »

;D Oh my god am soooo excited!!

My mum and I have spent years looking for another ECLICPSE SLOOP!!!! Its like looking at a mirror image of our boat - Sindia!

Can we start our class back up with two boats????

I've attached the only photo I can find on my laptop of the inside of Sindia, will find more!

Whats your Sloop called ? Am interested as Sindia is such an odd/intreging name.

We have had her for years and years and never found another or any information on the class.

Alice & Leo
mike b
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Eclipse Mk I 21ft designed John Westell circa 1960

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 04:41:15 am »

Hi
I'm afraid I sold her (after 23 yrs ownership !) to a chap from Plymouth.  Unfortunately I think she's now been sold again. I saw an advert 6 mths or so back.  So am losing track of her now. Such a shame.
I kept her at Topsham, Exe Estuary and believe that back in the 1960's there were several of her class in that area.
Capella, her name. Sail no. 12.
I could find some photos if you'd be interested ?

All the best
Mike
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 11:24:53 am »

Hi
I'm afraid I sold her (after 23 yrs ownership !) to a chap from Plymouth.  Unfortunately I think she's now been sold again. I saw an advert 6 mths or so back.  So am losing track of her now. Such a shame.
I kept her at Topsham, Exe Estuary and believe that back in the 1960's there were several of her class in that area.
Capella, her name. Sail no. 12.
I could find some photos if you'd be interested ?

All the best
Mike
Anything you have on this boat would be appreciated.
I don't really have enough to make a record that would really be of use to anyone. (other than they actually exist)

Regards,
Randy Browning
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length