Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2016, 03:34:29 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  IOR Boats
| | |-+  (Pics)Irwin Competition 1/2Ton Mark ll
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: (Pics)Irwin Competition 1/2Ton Mark ll  (Read 9749 times)
IrwinNoobie
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Irwin Competition 1/2 Ton Mark ll

« on: November 12, 2009, 09:01:22 pm »

Greetings all, this is my first post and I'm hoping for some good info.

I own my first boat.  :D  1976 Irwin Competition 1/2Ton Mark ll. Said to have been built to IRC racing specs. The race for which this boat was built, is called the Half Ton Cup.

And that is all that I know of her. I have sailed on her twice ....and now own it. I have been combing the net for info on this boat but have only found what is offered at the Irwin site.

http://irwinyachts.com/Competition/IhalfT/Half%20T%20MkII.jpg 
http://irwinyachts.com/Competition/IhalfT/HT4.jpg

.... good stuff but I'd like more. Loads of info on the Citation, but I cant find many people talking about an Irwin Competition Mark ll. And I have yet to see a single picture of one. I would love to talk with someone regarding the mainsheet configuration.

Any info you might have on this boat or someone that owns and races one...... would be helpful.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 11:38:03 am by sonosail » Logged
Barney Post
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 09:53:40 am »

I guess you know that the drawing you show the link to is another version (MkI ?? Only because the text states something about an outboard rudder).
I know nothing about this boat in particular but it is definitely NOT designed to the IRC rule, which only came into being about 5 years ago. I can't think this would be of any concern since it would seem unlikely that you would ever want to race in IRC events. (not to be taken as a criticism of the boat or IRC)
For what it's worth, I would be happy to advise you on the mainsheet setup, something which I feel I know something about. I used to have a boat of similar size and I probably changed mine about ten times before I found something that was satisfactory.

But, you need to decide if you are more interested in racing performance, or just cruising/daysailing.
Also, if possible, you would want to post a photo or photos of the setup you have now, showing as much detail as possible. (cockpit layout) It's almost impossible for anyone to give any useful advice without that.

Also, I sugguest that this thread be moved to the IOR section, since there is a guy there who knows everything about 1/2 tonners of this era.
Sounds like a great boat though. Best of luck with it.

bp 

Greetings all, this is my first post and I'm hoping for some good info.

I own my first boat.  :D  1976 Irwin Competition 1/2Ton Mark ll. Said to have been built to IRC racing specs. The race for which this boat was built, is called the Half Ton Cup.

And that is all that I know of her. I have sailed on her twice ....and now own it. I have been combing the net for info on this boat but have only found what is offered at the Irwin site.

http://irwinyachts.com/Competition/IhalfT/Half%20T%20MkII.jpg 
http://irwinyachts.com/Competition/IhalfT/HT4.jpg

.... good stuff but I'd like more. Loads of info on the Citation, but I cant find many people talking about an Irwin Competition Mark ll. And I have yet to see a single picture of one. I would love to talk with someone regarding the mainsheet configuration.

Any info you might have on this boat or someone that owns and races one...... would be helpful.

Thanks.
IrwinNoobie
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 05:10:00 pm »

Ok, here are some pics of my new girl (I need to think of a name and fast....before I say anything more so stupid:)

Any way drop the advise on moving the mainsheet. I dont want to effect the performance. Not anytime real soon, but I will be racing this boat someday.

Barney,"I guess you know that the drawing you show the link to is another version (MkI ?? Only because the text states something about an outboard rudder)."   ....Are you sure? Could be, for all I know.  The diagrams I posted first have one window but beyond that they look the same. You are right, that diagram says "outboard" rudder but it is showing a pic of an "inboard" rudder ....so maybe there is a type-o. I can't find ANYTHING on a Mark1 to compare with.

I'm going to make me a main sail here pretty soon... (yes I said make. I work in a loft) so I'll know my girl's "dimensions" soon enough.

hmmmm. MyGirl .. maybe that's the name for her.  I like Sha-Boom (my parents "song") or maybe Dream Weaver  .... Any one care'ta vote? Or suggest?   

Again any info and for sure documentation anyone has on this make/model is very much welcomed. Please jump in.

ps I dont see a way to move this post myself. Mods plz feel free to move to the IOR section.
centerofeffort42
Boat builder
Regular

Boat Type: C&C 34R, Peterson 25

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 12:59:51 am »

Irwin sailor,

I take it you've just jumped into this craft !  It looks in good shape.
I take it your boat is the fixed "bolted on keel" version of this 1/2 tonner.  An early "Pin tail" IOR boat.  My 1974 Peterson 1/4 tonner is also a  "Pin tail" type.  I had never seen one of these boats in the flesh,  great snaps. A Question.  The boat looks hard chinned, is it a plywood are fiberglass build.

You speak of a main sheet rigging issue? Looks good to me .

If you want to see some You Tube and a Web sit info, of this type check out a UK boat called Runaway Bus.com UK..   This site covers the boat's rebuild, and the YouTube, 1/4 ton racing feature views of this red boat in competition with its piers.

I don't want to discourage your search for records of the original build, but Good Luck!  Often that stuff, Paper work is long gone. 

crm.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 07:22:27 am »

Nice boat. I wouldn't touch the mainsheet setup. I wouldn't use the windows as an identifying feature. The bit about the rudder is mysterious. I think I see the trace of the chine mentioned in the description, but it definitely doesn't have the outboard rudder.
So does this thing have a dagger board?  I think that Ted Irwin was big on those for a while on his racing boats.
Just curious; What sail loft do you work for? I assume you're in Florida somewhere.
I was in the sail making business for a number of years.
Once you take your measurements, I'd also be curious to know how close they come to the ones  listed here. My guess is that the E measurement will be shorter.
In any case, I'm sure you'll have a great time with it.

rb
Ok, here are some pics of my new girl (I need to think of a name and fast....before I say anything more so stupid:)

Any way drop the advise on moving the mainsheet. I dont want to effect the performance. Not anytime real soon, but I will be racing this boat someday.

Barney,"I guess you know that the drawing you show the link to is another version (MkI ?? Only because the text states something about an outboard rudder)."   ....Are you sure? Could be, for all I know.  The diagrams I posted first have one window but beyond that they look the same. You are right, that diagram says "outboard" rudder but it is showing a pic of an "inboard" rudder ....so maybe there is a type-o. I can't find ANYTHING on a Mark1 to compare with.

I'm going to make me a main sail here pretty soon... (yes I said make. I work in a loft) so I'll know my girl's "dimensions" soon enough.

hmmmm. MyGirl .. maybe that's the name for her.  I like Sha-Boom (my parents "song") or maybe Dream Weaver  .... Any one care'ta vote? Or suggest?   

Again any info and for sure documentation anyone has on this make/model is very much welcomed. Please jump in.

ps I dont see a way to move this post myself. Mods plz feel free to move to the IOR section.
IrwinNoobie
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 05:09:13 pm »

Sorry for taking so long to respond. I've been super busy.

The previous owner of the boat is a life long sailor, engineer friend of mine. I sailed 3 times before agreeing to his generous offer. She is in great shape. Maybe a little issue at the pulpit, but nothing that is spilling water inboard or showing any softness. Molded fiberglass with a plywood core is what it looks like to me. No signs of any major repairs and very little salon wood rot. All glass is good. Lines and forward hatch are crap. All the hardware needs TLC.

Yes, dagger board. And SonoSail you were right about the E being shorter. What else do you know about that? P = 36.6, E = 9.35, leech 37.8

I guess there are any number of reasons for that. I'm hoping it's not a butcher job but maybe a redesign to control weather helm.

I work for Doyle in Saint Petersburg.

If more pics would help just let me know. I'm to busying getting it safe on a new mooring hook and "other" issues to do any sailing. But in a few weeks I'll have some pictures of her underway.

sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 09:32:42 am »

Can't tell you about how much weather helm this boat might have.  But I doubt that is the reason for the shorter boom. Probably more to do with the how designers were interpreting the IOR rule at the time. It was felt that the tall skinny main incurred less of a performance hit than the IOR rule thought it did. For a certain period of time, designers pushed the envelope on this idea and booms became progressively shorter. By 1983, when my boat was designed, (also to the IOR rule) they had gone completely the other way, with very large mains and long booms.
Whether this was because of a change in the rule, or something else, I can't say.
I have a friend that has always bought Doyle sails and they all seem really fast. Their version of 3DL, (can't remember what they call it) seem really good.
I regularly race against a San Juan 30 that has the same type of rig that your boat has. It's very fast.
My advice with the old hardware: Keep it, unless it really looks like it's going to fail.  You can spend of fortune of this kind of stuff.  I'm still using some Shaefer blocks that are probably more than 25 years old and they work fine. As we all know, there are so many ways to spend money on sailboats.
And now I'm going to attempt to use one of these bbs emoticons for the first time.
rb

Sorry for taking so long to respond. I've been super busy.

The previous owner of the boat is a life long sailor, engineer friend of mine. I sailed 3 times before agreeing to his generous offer. She is in great shape. Maybe a little issue at the pulpit, but nothing that is spilling water inboard or showing any softness. Molded fiberglass with a plywood core is what it looks like to me. No signs of any major repairs and very little salon wood rot. All glass is good. Lines and forward hatch are crap. All the hardware needs TLC.

Yes, dagger board. And SonoSail you were right about the E being shorter. What else do you know about that? P = 36.6, E = 9.35, leech 37.8

I guess there are any number of reasons for that. I'm hoping it's not a butcher job but maybe a redesign to control weather helm.

I work for Doyle in Saint Petersburg.

If more pics would help just let me know. I'm to busying getting it safe on a new mooring hook and "other" issues to do any sailing. But in a few weeks I'll have some pictures of her underway.
IrwinNoobie
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 02:52:25 pm »

Sonosail,"You can spend of fortune of this kind of stuff........ As we all know, there are so many ways to spend money on sailboats. "

B.O.A.T.  = Bring Out Another Thousand.

Yea, I know. :)

I love the people I work with. And I love making sails. I should be working as an electrician but the bush economy saw fit to ruin that for me here in Florida so I've been spending the last 2.5 years making sails. Ploch, the owner of this Doyle franchise isn't my favorite person in the world. He takes to much advantage of cheap labor here in Florida. I have no idea how he sleeps at night. That being said, the people I work with are top notch. EVERYONE takes it personal when a sail is made with some kind of error. And the woman that makes our spinnakers has an amazing touch for repairs. I swear if you send a spin for her to fix, you better take a pic of the damage or you will NOT be able to find it when she is done.   :)

I'm not replacing a single piece of hardware. I will be breaking them all down to rebuild myself. Tomorrow I will be getting the hull number (after I uncover it), and soon I will call Ted Irwin for whatever info he can offer. I'd like to have the longer boom. If the boat can take it. I mean I just want as much power as I can have ...so long as the boat is over powered.

sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 09:03:06 pm »

I love making sails too. I even like REPAIRING sails! Actually, that's how I got started with computers. (running some rather old sail design programs.)  I know (OF) Mark Plogh. PM about this. He actually sells some sails up this way.
Right now I'm in the process of purchasing a few sewing machines (Adler 266, Singer 107 3 step, Juki walking foot (strait stitch) and few others that some guy I know who is trying to get rid of them.) I used to have my own loft. I'm thinking of doing some sail/canvas work in my spare time.
You might ask Ted Irwin how much he has to do with the Irwin web site. I'm always looking for original brochures.
Best of luck to you.  Stay in touch.

Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT
sailboatdata.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length