Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2016, 06:26:14 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Morgan 45-1
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Morgan 45-1  (Read 2817 times)
sonosail
Administrator

« on: November 18, 2008, 11:45:35 pm »

Thanks for joining. I would NOT rely on the dimensions I have listed for the S&J model. I have the original brochure for the Morgan 45, but not the S&J version. Even if you had the Morgan Yachts version, I would only accept dimensions listed as a very general guide. And I take this stuff somewhat seriously, because if I don't have somewhat 'authoritative' specs, I don't list the boat. But during this period especially, dimensions would vary, in some cases, depending on what day of the week the boat was built. Rig dimensions especially, are known do be wildly unreliable which we know since owners need to measure their rigs when they order new sails.
Displacement is another matter. I would never rely on a manufacturers listed displacement number should this be of importance for whatever you are trying to do. And here, we're talking about a boat that came from a mold that one builder purchased from another etc.
Sorry I can't be any more confidence inspiring because I've seen your project and the thoroughness with which you seem to approaching it.
I guess you don't have any sails for the original rig, or maybe you don't HAVE the original rig. Because if you did, I would say just go sailing for a while and see how she performs. So maybe you don't have the option of doing that.
In any case, I would think that someone with the experience of your consultant could, at this stage, advise you far better than me.

Best of luck.
I'm really interested in your progress with this and I look forward to hearing about it.
I know this type of boat fairly well and have sailed on the original
(1960's) Morgan 45 many times. A great looking boat this is fast.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 01:47:30 pm by sonosail » Logged
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 11:46:31 pm »

It was many years ago. I think I was around 18, but I did spend some time at the helm. I would say it WAS well balanced. We were racing mostly and it did really well in light air. (This was Long Island Sound, so those were the prevailing conditions.) Most Morgans of that vintage were good light air boats. The M34, 24 and 30 were also great in light air.

I saw your photos on the Classicplastic or plasticclassic bbs.  I forwarded you a link to the Morgan 45 drawings. I try to be a little cautious  since I don't want to seem like I'm there just to promote my site.

I'm posting my comments on my FORUM if you don't mind. You never know, but someone may show up who has pertinent information on this subject.
morgan 45-1
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Morgan 45-1

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 03:35:26 pm »

Hi sonosail,

The boat I am working on is the aft cockpit Starratt and Jenks made Morgan 45-1.  The boat has never been in the water and has never had an interior.  She is basically a shell with no rig.

The original rig is in the process of being re-designed and I am looking for some actual displacement numbers on the original Morgan 45-1, the Starratt and Jenks 45-1 aft cockpit and the Starratt and Jenks 45-1 centre cockpit.

I appreciate your comments on not trusting the brochure measurements in comparison to the actual measurements.  If anyone can provide me some actual information on any of these 45-1 displacements, it would be very helpful.

Thanks
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length