Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2016, 05:15:58 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  Information Wanted
| | |-+  Talisman sailboat
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Talisman sailboat  (Read 7361 times)
hoopncat
Pick-up Crew

« on: November 23, 2008, 09:48:00 pm »

Hello,
I am looking at  a 1978 Talisman 37' cruiser to buy, but i can't find any information on the builder or designer.  Even the broker can't find anything.
If anyone knows anything about this sailboat i would appreciate the info.
Bob
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 09:52:31 am »

I saw the ad on Yacht World, and I have to say I'm stumped also.
If I were to make a wild guess, I'd say it's a McCune design built by Yorktown and finished by another company.  They had flat sided stern sections with the hollowed out bow like this appears to have. They made flush deck center cockpit models as well as ones with a coach roof that looks something like this boat. I've also seen a smaller version that had windows with a similar shape.
It's possible that this is based on the 40 foot hull but with out the usual reverse transom.   
Again, just a guess.  I also have another hunch but I need to look into it a bit further.
That's the best I can do at the moment.
Good luck, and I'd be very much interested if you finally figure it out.

rb 
alano
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Talisman 37

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 12:25:19 am »

I have a Talisman 37 for sale.  You can see pix at following link http://www.orangemarilyn.com/talisman.html
If interested, call me at 310-722-2376
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 01:07:42 pm »

I hope you sell it and all, but could you fill us in on some of the details about this mystery model?   Do you have some basic specs, or do you happen to know who built it etc.?

rb
alano
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Talisman 37

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 08:59:37 pm »

From what I can gather, Talisman yachts was an outfit operating in the 1970's out of Wilmington/San Pedro California. I think they purchased the molds from Yorktown and the Talisman 37' is identical to the Yorktown 35', except for the additional 2 feet aft.  Both Yorktowns and Talismans were kit boats, so they vary quite a lot in terms of rigging, deck layout and interior layout.  Both have a solid reputation as well balanced, blister free, blue water or coastal cruisers.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 10:29:55 pm »

Wow!  Thanks Alano.
I may have actually been on the right track for once.
The whole Hank McCune story is really a facinating one (with the whole TV thing etc.)  that I have caught on to only recently.
Now, I'd really like to find out more about that earliest of McCune boats which was called the 'American', or something like that.

rb
BushwickBill
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Blue Water Cruiser - California to New Zealand.

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 12:18:07 am »

Can someone give me more information about this model Talisman? I'm mostly interested in the boats ability as a blue water cruiser. I've done quite a bit of cruising on larger vessels as crew but I've never owned my own boat. Now as they say "is the time to buy" and I'm looking into a Talisman 37' Should I just research Yorktown 35' and infer the vessels have similar handling characteristics?

Thanks
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 10:33:48 am »

Unless this is the one that Alano is selling, I would talk to him. He even left his tel. number.
I would definitely get a survey though.

rb
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length