Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 08, 2016, 10:48:16 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  Information Wanted
| | |-+  mcglasson pilothouse cutter
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: mcglasson pilothouse cutter  (Read 22034 times)
robdavis
Regular

Boat Type: mcglasson pilothouse cutter

« on: December 27, 2009, 01:43:15 pm »

What happened to Joseph McGlasson after his Islander fame?   I own a Pilothouse Cutter designed by Joe McGlasson and built in Newport, OR at Cape Foulweather Boat Co, the former deceased 1986 and the builder of which he was the owner/CEO now out-of-business.  The boat, 'Chantey', is a 1979 one-off custom; 40' LOA, Y.Cedar over oak, H.Mahog interior. 

I'd appreciate any info on this boat in particular, blueprint availability, former owners, etc.  In general, I wonder about the designer in that the design is remarkably beautiful, with a high degree of build quality by what appears to be master craftsman.   Anyone care to comment?

Thanks in advance,
Rob...
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 02:51:29 pm »

Do you have a picture of it?
It it anything like this: http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatFullDetails.jsp?boat_id=1909436&ybw=&units=Feet&currency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=1984&url=

What happened to Joseph McGlasson after his Islander fame?   I own a Pilothouse Cutter designed by Joe McGlasson and built in Newport, OR at Cape Foulweather Boat Co, the former deceased 1986 and the builder of which he was the owner/CEO now out-of-business.  The boat, 'Chantey', is a 1979 one-off custom; 40' LOA, Y.Cedar over oak, H.Mahog interior. 

I'd appreciate any info on this boat in particular, blueprint availability, former owners, etc.  In general, I wonder about the designer in that the design is remarkably beautiful, with a high degree of build quality by what appears to be master craftsman.   Anyone care to comment?

Thanks in advance,
Rob...
robdavis
Regular

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 03:55:45 pm »

Thanks for your interest, Randy.  The 1974 Cape Foulweather advertised on Yachtworld.com has interior woodworking features similar to the 1979 'Chantey'.  A former owner has photos posted to the following link:  http://www.9d9.com/.  The attachment option for this profile appears to not be enabled.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 04:29:38 pm »

Not again. Something keeps getting changed at the hosting company.
Anyway, before your message, I knew nothing about what happened to him after Islander. It was assumed that he had some sort of falling out with both Columbia and Tradewind Yachts.  Apparently he formed this Cape Foulweather Boat Co. which is new information to me. I saw a site for a company started by someone who used to work there. This is it http://www.jordanwoodboats.com You might try contacting this guy.
I was always a little curious about it my self, so if  you find out anthing, let me know.

Good Luck
Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com

Thanks for your interest, Randy.  The 1974 Cape Foulweather advertised on Yachtworld.com has interior woodworking features similar to the 1979 'Chantey'.  A former owner has photos posted to the following link:  http://www.9d9.com/.  The attachment option for this profile appears to not be enabled.
robdavis
Regular

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 04:37:24 pm »

Thanks for the lead - seems to be in the same area as Cape Foulweather Boat Co. and an article on Jordan posted on his site talks about a couple of other boatyards where he apprenticed.
SAGA
Trimmer

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 10:14:15 pm »

robdavis,

I was a very close friend of Joe Mcgalsson.I met him in Newport Or. in 1978.

I was at the launch of "CHANTY" and have a very nice photo of Joe standing at the stern right behind the rudder moments before splashing her! I would like to get a copy to you as I am certain you would enjoy it.

I designed and had built a Hans Christian sail boat. After Joe closed his shop we built a teak pilot house for it in his garage and it turned out very very nice.I believe this was his last boat project.

Joe was a naval archect as well as a boat builder of the highest quality.

Joe and his wife; Evy would often go up or down the coast to California or Washington and visit my wife and me aboard our boat; ZIA. Those were some of the best years of my life.

Too bad Evy and Joe didn't write a book as theis stories were endless and wonderful!

robdavis, I hope we can hook up..

sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 08:42:55 am »

Great stuff. Thanks very much.
Personally, I regard Joe Mcglasson as a seminal figure in boatbuilding/design on the West Coast during this period, and one that has never been adequately recognized as such.
I would very much hearing any information you choose, or have time to share.

I have tried to include what little I know about him on this site.
I had no idea he was a naval architect for example. It seems likely that a number of the early Columbias were copies of boats designed by him.  But there is very little information around to confirm this. 
I would very much like to see a photo.  I'm in the process of including photos of designers on my list.

Thanks again for checking in.
Regards,
Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com

robdavis,

I was a very close friend of Joe Mcgalsson.I met him in Newport Or. in 1978.

I was at the launch of "CHANTY" and have a very nice photo of Joe standing at the stern right behind the rudder moments before splashing her! I would like to get a copy to you as I am certain you would enjoy it.

I designed and had built a Hans Christian sail boat. After Joe closed his shop we built a teak pilot house for it in his garage and it turned out very very nice.I believe this was his last boat project.

Joe was a naval archect as well as a boat builder of the highest quality.

Joe and his wife; Evy would often go up or down the coast to California or Washington and visit my wife and me aboard our boat; ZIA. Those were some of the best years of my life.

Too bad Evy and Joe didn't write a book as theis stories were endless and wonderful!

robdavis, I hope we can hook up..
robdavis
Regular

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 12:19:15 pm »

"Saga" and Randy,
Thanks so much for your interest in the s/v Chantey and Joe Mcglasson inquiries.  "Saga", I would enjoy 'picking your brain' on your knowledge of the boat and Joe's interest in wooden boats (after his Islander fame).  The build quality is as high as I've seen in Northwest boats.  I'd also love to see the photo you speak of. 

I've been steadily refitting Chantey since I purchased her in November.  Mostly I've repaired problem areas usually seen on a 30 year old boat.  The yellow cedar hull is holding up well, even with the reputation it has of "freeze-checking" in this part of the country.  Lot's more to tell, hope also we can hook-up!

Rob...
SAGA
Trimmer

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 04:08:12 pm »

We are in the process of moving to Texas. I spent a total of 5 hours going through containers; we have 50 five cu.ft. boxes packed...looking for the picture of Joe at the launch of CHANTY. I know I still have it but it will take some time.

This is a photo I took outside Joe's shop; of "MISTRESS",  a wooden Bahama 32 Joe designed and built, this must have been about 1980... maybe early summer. Joe built her for Don Jones who lived in Eugene Or. and was going to have a great long cruise which is quite a story. Ended up in port Ludlow Wash.

I believe Joe made several of these Bahamas 32's through the years...

Joe made a 60 ft wooden boat for Joe Beek who had the fuel dock and ferry at Balboa Island; Newport beach Ca. It is still in use as a charter boat in that area.. the boats name is "AMIGO" and still uses that name. link below...

http://www.caladventures.com/NewportLanding.htm

Joe made a 42 ft sail boat for a man in Eugene Or. and that man was doing most of the finish work himself..that was early 80's..I saw it several times but never followed the outcome.

A fellow in Alaska was also making a  42 ft. sail boat from Joe's plans and I think Joe may have made a trip up there for a bit of guidance.

"SALISHAN" was a 65 ft wooden motor yacht he built in the mid 70's for a friend from Vida Or. named Ed, it was a very fine yacht and powered by extremely large cat diesels.. Ed later took the larger engines out and repowered with much smaller cat diesels. Ed owned a large helicopter company in Seattle and I think it was his input for the large engines not Joe's.

The "KINGFISHER" was a 47 ft wooden boat that Joe built in Newport Or. in the late 30's or early 40's . It was a sport fishing charter boat and was used by the navy I believe as a coast wise patrol boat in WW ll... returned to the owner after the war and was still in use as a charter fishing boat in the late 80's that I know of and maybe much longer. She was working out of Newport Or. but had run out of Depot Bay  Or. for years also... link below

http://www.oregoncoast.history.museum/collection.html

Joe said "a great woodworker is one who can correct his mistakes"!

Joe was instrumental in forming the Yaquina Bay Yacht Club in Newport Or... of which I was a member in the late 1970s and 1980's.

I have some of his tools and I feel like there is a lot of magic left in them. He also gave me many parts and fittings that he did not sell when he closed his shop.

There is ample information on the internet of Joe's start with fiberglass Islanders and then the ensuing deals by greedy people he got mixed up with that took advantage of him.

Joe designed and built motor homes called Islander Motor Home. I saw several on the road in the 80's in southern Calif. but none recently. Some company makes an Islander currently but there is no connection to Mcglassons Islander. Used to see one listed for sale on the internet from time to time but not lately.  links below....

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=2CQVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=F_gDAAAAIBAJ&pg=1173,4364812&dq=history+islander+motorhome&hl=en

http://www.google.com/search?q=history+islander+motorhome&hl=en&rlz=1W1GPEA_en&sa=X&tbo=p&tbs=tl:1,tl_num:20,tll:1960,tlh:1979&ei=bNpyS42YB466swO0so27BQ&oi=timeline_histogram_nav&ct=timeline-histogram&cd=6&ved=0CJABEMkBKAY

Joe made a gondola for someone and I'm not too clear about that story but I saw a picture of it. The lines were beautiful.

Joe had pilot license and a crashed a small plane by age 16 and his father; superintendant of schools in Tillamook Or. didn't even know he knew how to fly until after the crash.

Many years ago Joe built an airplane from designs he made.. he did the entire job by himself and then flew it.. I never saw a picture of it but I'm certain it had fine lines... He even made the prop out of spruce he had harvested.

The "HEIDING"; a 120 foot steel motor yacht with twin Bessemer Cooper engines..  Jean Spencer was the captain.... she chartered out of Newport Beach California an went to Mexico...La Paz  and Puerto Vallarta in the 1950's....Joe would fly down people and supplies to Mexico and meet up with the HEIDING.... Evy; Joe's wife worked as cook on that boat.  Their clientele was very special indeed.. Frank Sinatra, Marilyn Monroe, Dean Martin, David Sarnoff; head of RCA, and many more of the movie celebs... ..Evy used to cook me and my wife a chicken dish that was Frank Sinatra's mother's receipt. He had Evy cook it for him every time he was on he HEIDING. Chicken, potato and cheese was the base as I recall.

I have rambled too much.....! Many memories concealed under a deep layer of newer events.

I won't give up on the buried photos.... but it will take a while..

SAGA
Your message is ready to be sent with the following file or link attachments:
BAHAMA 32 DON JONES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 03:10:02 pm »

Thanks again. As a result of your post, I can already see that I have to re-do a number of things relating to this subject.
I'm really sorry that your attachments didn't come through. Did you select 'Additional Options' at the bottom left of the message window?
If you continue to have a problem, let me know, and I will figure out another way for you to post them, because your pictures are of great interest to me.

Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
SAGA
Trimmer

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 05:34:49 pm »

Hope this works, thanks for the guidance Randy.

Here is the photo I eluded to in may last post.

This is the Bahama 32; "MISTRESS" built in 1980 for Don Jones.

SAGA
robdavis
Regular

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 05:24:56 pm »

I've enjoyed your "ramble" and could read on.  Chantey was lying at Foss Harbor, Tacoma when I found her in 2008, lots of pollution coating her sails and deck.  I brought her up to Alaska last year where she is now berthed.

There had been a fire onboard in an area that had once been a sink across from the head.  This had been converted to a tiled area for Dickinson diesel heat stove.  The owner told me of a previous owner that had some drying towels ignite.  The damage was covered up with white paint, covering the beautiful H.Mahagony trim and veneered ply bulkheads.  The cabin beams also show some residual varnish charring from what must have been a very hot 'flash' fire. 
Anyway, before I get too longwinded, I've restored much of the trim to its original finish but have more to go.

I've many projects ahead, again mostly those associated with a wooden boat at this stage of its life.  I'll try to get the deck and some water-damaged subfloor redone this summer if I can get away from my regular job for a couple weeks.  Then there's the hull which will need some stripping, caulking and repainting.......   I very much enjoy the repair work.  I can say this (and not be considered loony) as Chantey is my second wooden boat, the first being a 1929 salmon troller....  or is that even worse?

I always wondered if design plans were still around for Chantey.  For that matter, I would think Randy and others would be interested if there was a such a source for Joe's works.  You can find these for other (well known) designers, but Joe seems to be a bit of a mystery.  Perhaps that's the way he would have preferred it.
I'm at robdavis@alaska.com should you be interested in a dialogue, or should you locate that 'splash' pic - I'll frame it and mount it in a prominent place on Chantey!
SAGA
Trimmer

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 09:46:11 pm »

robdavis,

I never realized I had accumulated so many photos from my Pacific sailing days.. I never found the print I was looking for.... but I found all of the original negatives including the one I wanted... good thing you're not paying me by the hour!

Now the problem will be to find someone to develop the negatives. I haven't used film in many years... Side note; my across the street neighbor here in Santa Fe New Mexico was a world class photographer. He took the very first photo of the atomic bomb test. Robert worked in Los Alamos with Manhattan Project...had an super dark room at his home unfortunately he died a few years ago... there were 10,000 8x10 black and white archived prints in his garage and 438 cameras in the estate sale.. Wish he was still around...he would have liked the project.

Back to business at hand.... I will post the pictures as soon as I get them printed. I will make double copies so I can send you a set by mail..

I also ran across lots of photos of Joe and wife Evy at many attitude adjustment hours at their home and on my boat if that is of any interest.

I remember just after CHANTEY was launched she was on our same dock a couple of slips down from us. Joe and Evy came down one afternoon to grill some salmon we caught. While the salmon was grilling Joe and I walked down to check Chantey. Joe asked about a stain on the balck hull about the waterline. I put my hand on the side of the boat to lean down and get a better look..... The dock lines were not tight at all..The boat moved out more than I could reach... Needless to say I fell in....Joe laughed so hard he almost fell in... The water was very cold and I pleaded for Joe to pull me out.... With a twinkle in his eye he said that'll be $5.00 cash... I couldn't bargain... I said OK but it'll be wet.. We went back to my boat ; ZIA, I changed clothes and we had a great dinner of fresh grilled salmon..... Two days later I sent Joe a bill that read as follows; IN THE WATER HULL SURVEY, $10.00 ...CASH!
As Ever
SAGA
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 03:49:38 pm »

I wish I was able to assist in some way with the photos. I'm on the east coast so this is probably not possible. There are scanners that can do negatives without 'developing'.
The only thing I CAN do is post whatever photos you wish to make available.
I have the greatest interest in everything you have posted.

If there is some way I CAN help, just let me know.

Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT USA
sailboatdata.com
SAGA
Trimmer

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 11:14:05 pm »

I wish I was able to assist in some way with the photos. I'm on the east coast so this is probably not possible. There are scanners that can do negatives without 'developing'.
The only thing I CAN do is post whatever photos you wish to make available.
I have the greatest interest in everything you have posted.

If there is some way I CAN help, just let me know.

Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT USA
sailboatdata.com

Randy,

Are you familiar with this company?

http://www.britepix.com/negative-scanning/35mm-negative-scanning.php

Thought I might give them a try. I'll go with the 4000 dpi.

SAGA
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length