Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2016, 01:41:44 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  Information Wanted
| | |-+  mcglasson pilothouse cutter
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: mcglasson pilothouse cutter  (Read 21073 times)
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 06:04:58 am »

No, sorry.  Don't know for sure, but I thought that one of those larger chain drug stores could do the same thing.  OR, maybe one of those copying places like KINKOS. No idea what they charge though.
rb
robdavis
Regular

Boat Type: mcglasson pilothouse cutter

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 07:49:25 pm »

RE: "In the water survey!"
Sounds like good times.  While I'm sure there are many under-documented NA's that have come and gone, the few things I've been able to garner about McGlasson I believe warrant some further research or documentation.  Randy's on the right track. 

Saga, you may well be a vital link to getting this information out there before it passes to obscurity.  I am encouraged by your willingness to search your 'treasures' for photos, etc. of Joe, his boats and boatbuilding business associations.  Perhaps, in the near future, a magazine such as 'Wooden Boats' or even 'Good Old Boats' would take up with a follow-up to what is started here!

Thanks again,
Rob...
SAGA
Trimmer

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 02:30:34 pm »

I remember Joe said one time said he painted a school of herring on the bottom of Swede's 32 ft Monterey trawler... Swede was a salmon fisherman out of Newport Or. and he thought it would attract the salmon to his boat. Joe Mcglasson was a world class sign painter and could have been any kind of artist/sculpture... Anyway I asked Joe how the school of herring worked on the bottom of the boat.... Joe just said....Swede never had me "touch'em up" !

More later....

SAGA
SAGA
Trimmer

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 10:57:54 am »

In regard to m/v HEIDING that I mentioned in post # 8, I did not mean to imply that Joe built this boat.. only that he and his wife were strongly linked to it.

robdavis I'm still working on the photos.....

Joe said one year Swede went to Alaska to fish salmon and while he was up there he got weathered in, in a bay with a very small glacier emptying into it. This was many years ago and before anchoring he took out his lead line* to test the bottom with tallow. Upon pulling in the "lead" to check the bottom he found a gold nugget stuck in the tallow. Needless to say Swede stayed in that bay till he ran out of tallow. He was able to retrieve a number of gold nuggets and had a small honey jar with the gold in it when he got back to Newport and Swede showed them to Joe...... Joe said Swede sold his boat about a year later and moved to Alaska and he never heard of Swede after that....

SAGA

*  From WIKIPEDIA:
"A sounding line or lead line is a length of thin rope with a plummet, generally of lead, at its end. Regardless of the actual composition of the plummet, it is still called a "lead."

Sometimes tallow was placed at the recess in the bottom of the plummet to pick up traces of any loose material (such as mud, sand, or shingle) from the seabed, providing information useful for pilotage and anchoring. If the plummet came up clean, it meant the bottom was rock. Nautical charts now provide information of the seabed materials at particular locations."
SAGA
Trimmer

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 03:59:45 pm »

ATTN: robdavis and sonosail,

I took the negatives of the launch of CHANTEY to Sam's Club and had 4x6 prints made and I had 11 photos. They were a very decent pictures.. much better than I had remembered. Very comprehensive.I wanted to have a backup of the photos in case negatives got lost some way... I will now send the negatives to have then cleaned and enhanced and they will make 4000 dpi prints and digital copies of the negatives . I assume that I will then be able to send the digital copies by internet/e-mail.

I will keep you up to date as I get them back.

AS EVER...SAGA

robdavis
Regular

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 04:57:49 pm »

Looking forward to the photos and what I might discover has changed from then to now!  And where did Swede say that bay was?!!
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 05:55:23 pm »

Once you get your pictures (no idea what format that would be) , let me know if you have any trouble posting them, or even sending them. There are a number of ways I can assist.

Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com

ATTN: robdavis and sonosail,

I took the negatives of the launch of CHANTEY to Sam's Club and had 4x6 prints made and I had 11 photos. They were a very decent pictures.. much better than I had remembered. Very comprehensive.I wanted to have a backup of the photos in case negatives got lost some way... I will now send the negatives to have then cleaned and enhanced and they will make 4000 dpi prints and digital copies of the negatives . I assume that I will then be able to send the digital copies by internet/e-mail.

I will keep you up to date as I get them back.

AS EVER...SAGA
SAGA
Trimmer

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 06:18:40 pm »

randy,

I worked on 5 photos and will try to send them... I have them in several different photo files; sony,  panasonic, windows photo and in an e-mail to myself...

THROW ME A LINE  !!!!!!

GLUB...GLUB...GLUB

SAGA
SAGA
Trimmer

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 07:17:46 pm »

I have been trying to send all 5 photos at once....not much luck.... I'll see if I can send one at a time...

SAGA
SAGA
Trimmer

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 07:20:40 pm »

Slowly but surely....

Joe stands at stern at launch..

SAGA
SAGA
Trimmer

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 07:22:49 pm »

Jane and John George and Joe McGlasson..

SAGA
SAGA
Trimmer

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 07:24:39 pm »

Almost there...

SAGA
SAGA
Trimmer

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2010, 07:27:49 pm »

Looks like a launch...

robdavis..... ask and you shall receive

SAGA
SAGA
Trimmer

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2010, 07:49:03 pm »

robdavis,

Got CHANTEY in the water now... I had a 14 foot Zodiac with a 20 hp Johnson... helped ease CHANTEY off the cradle and then made fast along side; stb side, and took her across Yaquina Bay from South Beach to the Embarcadero Marina to her slip. Joe wasn't really ready to start the diesel and had a rather early launch because of the tide table. Joe and Evy...John and Jane...took her out for an official stroll a few days later. We followed at a respectable distance in ZIA..

Memories flooding back...

To be continued...

SAGA
robdavis
Regular

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2010, 11:28:22 am »

WOW!

I'm falling over myself in amazement!  So many questions answered by these pics!  i.e:  The mast originally varnished;  black the original color (currently in pristine shape under several layers of questionable paint jobs),  the seams not set flush, etc.  No sign remaining of the gold leaf "Chantey" on the forward toerail.

Got to wonder what that black paint is -perhaps an epoxy sealer?   Currently the boat is 'stealth' grey (previous owner).  I'll try to get the boat back to it's original color, but yellow cedar hulls are tricky in that they won't hold paint above the waterline and are susceptable to 'freeze-checking' in our part of the Northwest.  One solution that appears to work is a solids-based stain, kind of chalky to the touch, but it does protect the wood.  This black paint or sealer (under the other layers of paint) appears to have done it's job well for 30 years ("If it ain't broke...").
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length