Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 07, 2016, 07:05:15 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  Information Wanted
| | |-+  mcglasson pilothouse cutter
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: mcglasson pilothouse cutter  (Read 22011 times)
SAGA
Trimmer

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2010, 10:44:34 pm »

Found this boat listed today.42' Cape Foulweather Bahama 42 made by Joe McGlasson in 1974.Looks pretty good for "74".

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatFullDetails.jsp?boat_id=1909436&ybw=&units=Feet&currency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=1984&url=

Thought this might be of intrest..

SAGA
jimbo
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: BOOMAROO 22

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2010, 01:09:24 am »

The keel cable has snapped in the middle and also the shackle has sheered of with some of the cable, does anybody know the length of the cable I need to replace it with, as I have never had to replace it befor

Thanks Jimbo
SAGA
Trimmer

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2010, 10:05:01 am »

sonosail,

I have some random photos of Joe McGlasson; some building things, some from attitude adjustment hour, but there are quite a few. I don't know what you would want me to do with them.

Let know how to handle them..Or if you even want them.

I didn't know if it would be of intrest to the Forum.

Thanks in advance.

SAGA
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2010, 04:13:01 pm »

Yes I'm interested in seeing  these. I'm going to create a new section for all the posts concerning Joe McGlasson, just to make it easier to find.
At some point, I will be including photos of designers in the designer list. So, if you had a photo of him that I could crop to a head shot, I could include that under his name.
I have been without power here for a number of days. And I've had to do a complete resoration of my computer hard drive. I've only now, gradually, getting up to speed.

But whatever else you wish to post, be my guest.
Thanks so much.
Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com

sonosail,

I have some random photos of Joe McGlasson; some building things, some from attitude adjustment hour, but there are quite a few. I don't know what you would want me to do with them.

Thanks in advance.

SAGA
SAGA
Trimmer

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2010, 03:54:07 pm »

sonosail,

Here is a photo of Joe McGlasson you might use for the new section..
Made it from a 3x4 in. photo....
SAGA
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2010, 12:01:38 pm »

Thanks very much. If thats the clearest one you have, I'll use it.
Did Joe ever talk to you about his experience with Glass Laminates, (precursor to Columbiat Yachts). The impression I get is that he wasn't entirely happy with the outcome.   And then there was Wayfarer/Islander.  There are a few things out there about this but I was really interested in knowing Joes side of the story, to whatever extant you heard about it. From what little I know, I don't think he has been given the credit he deserves.
I was thinking of working up a little better biography, with you as a major source.

Thanks SAGA
Randy Browing
SAGA
Trimmer

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2010, 08:28:30 pm »

sonosail,

Trying to get better photo results.Try this one....I am going to dig deeper into my photo prints now. I am using a different scanner now with better results.

SAGA
SAGA
Trimmer

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2010, 08:52:11 pm »

Yes I'm interested in seeing  these. I'm going to create a new section for all the posts concerning Joe McGlasson, just to make it easier to find.
At some point, I will be including photos of designers in the designer list. So, if you had a photo of him that I could crop to a head shot, I could include that under his name.
I have been without power here for a number of days. And I've had to do a complete resoration of my computer hard drive. I've only now, gradually, getting up to speed.

But whatever else you wish to post, be my guest.
Thanks so much.
Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com

sonosail,

Thanks in advance.

SAGA

Here is another one... Joe at wheel of my sailboat; ZIA.He had just finished putting pilot house on Zia. before sea trials.

SAGA
SAGA
Trimmer

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2010, 09:11:00 pm »

Forth of July 1979, Joe McGlasson and wife Evy for grilled salmon at my boat ZIA. Cups of coffee with real cream and Wild Turkey while walking the docks and socializing with neighbors.

SAGA
SAGA
Trimmer

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2010, 04:02:01 pm »

Found this listed on Craigs list today as a McGlasson boat. I am not aware which boat this one is! Says photo is sistership.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/boa/1660144054.html

SAGA
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2010, 08:29:33 am »

Found this listed on Craigs list today as a McGlasson boat. I am not aware which boat this one is! Says photo is sistership.

SAGA
Thanks a lot saga. These are great.
Still have a bit of work to do on the designer picture feature.
I'll let you know when it's up and running.
rb
robdavis
Regular

Boat Type: mcglasson pilothouse cutter

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2010, 06:19:56 pm »

SAGA

That would have been interesting to see.  The listing/link shows "expired." 
robdavis
Regular

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2010, 06:36:28 pm »

The attachment function appears to be working now - attached to the previous post is Chantey as she is now, i.e, awaiting a change from 'stealth grey' and a recaulking job.

Note the boom extension.  It's an aluminum boxed construction slid over the original wooden boom end.  It's a dangerous set-up as it will strike the backstay should the mainsail kite (for lack of a boom vang or such control) on a jibe.  It'll be coming off as soon as I come up with a different configuation for the mainsheet and traveler.  Without the extension, the mainsheet strikes the helmsman in the head when centered.  The helm could be rotated 180 degrees (with the helmsman reaching behind to steer) but this isn't as ergonomic as it is now.

Alternatives I've considered include: relocating the traveler across the cockpit, immediately foward of the helm;  locating the traveler on the pilothouse with mid-boom tackle (not as strong as end-boom sheeting and there is little room for such a set-up); or a boomkin extension for the backstay.

I can't tell from the launch pictures what the original configuation was?  Thanks to all that are participating in this discussion!
SAGA
Trimmer

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2010, 12:09:49 pm »

This boat was relisted on craig's list... So I copied it and will try to post here with the photo. His informaation seems a little inaccurate.

Famous Builder 1990 40ft Wood Sailboat - $19000 (LA Harbor)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-04-11, 11:43PM PDT
Reply to: sale-2gg7s-1687899095@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1990 McGlasson 40 foot pilot house sloop. Yes, she was actually built in 1990. Original cost $140,000. Joe McGlasson is the legendary designer who first made a mold of a wood boat so that the fiberglass hull had plank lines. (See http://www.czmartin.com/home/i24/ for history.) After leaving Islander, Joe went to the State of Washington and resumed building wood boats. Aeolus is 11' 6" in beam and draws 5' 9". She displaces 20,000 lbs. She has a 9300# lead keel which is 24" wide and is bronze fastened. Her hull is carvel planked 1 1/4" mahogany and takes on no water. Her teak deck is 1 3/8" solid teak over 1/2 inch plywood. (You read right. 1 3/8 inch teak.) Her engine is a 30 HP Yanmar. She sleeps 5. She carries 70 gallons of fresh water, 40 gallons of diesel. 12 Volt electrical system plus shore power. Destroyer wheel steering. 2 anchors. Full galley with 4 burner stove/oven, double bay SS sink, 115 volt refrigerator with separate-door zero degree freezer. Large rail mounted gas BBQ grill. 1KW gas generator. 10 foot inflatable dingy with 2 HP outboard. Loads of storage. She is in the water and has been cosmetically neglected (slap on the wrist) and needs some TLC. Call Bob at 310-686-9483 for more info. (Sorry, my pictures aren't loading. Send me an email and I will send them to you.)
robdavis
Regular

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2010, 07:22:15 pm »

I contacted the owner Bob out of curiousity.  The boat indeed appears to be a twin from what little I can tell from the picture.  Bob spoke of how the boat was purchased as a hull and fitted out by the original owner.  If I understood correctly, the fitting out was continued by subsequent owners including Bob.  He has identified some similarities;  the sole is teak with mahogany (in place of holly), the boat is also a pilothouse (the companionway appears identical to Chantey) and Bob also says his boom is too long.  He feels that the boat is over-canvassed.
I asked him to send some photos, but I haven't seen any yet.

I wasn't able to sort out the 1990 build date he stated in his advert.  He believed the boat was built in Oregon or Washington.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length