Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2016, 01:40:51 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Craked Cast iron keel on my 37 footer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Craked Cast iron keel on my 37 footer  (Read 2605 times)
AROSENTAL
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: 1983 37' KIRIE ELITE

« on: January 20, 2010, 05:49:53 am »

bad bad news. Yahoo! Groups <notify@yahoogroups.com>
REF 1983 37' Kyrie Elite (later called Feeling)

Finally I was able to pull out the boat today onto the haul out for much needed repairs and paint, etc to see that there is a vertical crack in the cast iron keel that runs from top to bottom
it runs pretty much vertical with with a bent 30
degreeincline 10" from the bottom of the keel and then has a +75 degree brake in the opposite direction leaving it at 45 from the vertical.
Does anybody have or know how the metal mass is supported? what else should I inspect? remeber that this is the boat that sit during low and normal tides on the mud for the better part of 9 years.

1-does anybody know where can I get drwgs to make a new [lead]keel?
2-does it have a ballast inside or is it solid cast iron"?
2-do you know of any precedent similar fixes?
3-who could make an adapt the design for a new [lead] keel ?
3- It seems to me that iot should be possible to repair the keel in place by bolting through 3 or 4" longitudinal flat steel 2 or three plates and injstalling a "shoe at the bottom to make it rigid enough to not change the sttresses in the boat.
3-and then, since i am planning to race it, maybe apply a few layers of fiberglass to smoothen up the surface?
4- does anybody know how to get a hold of Ron Holland. I am told he is still alive
5-does anybody know of a junk keel I can buy?

I'll try to send pictures tonight if you send me your cellphone numbers or take some with own camera and post them here.pls help!!. Regards,

Alex Rosental
p: 281.654.1766
c: 832.814.3657
Barney Post
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 02:32:57 pm »

A photo might help. The way you describe it is pretty confusing.  Pretty sure this boat has an all cast iron keel. And there are no keel bolts you can see in the bilge?   I don't see how contacting Ron Holland would help. He mainly does superyachts these days, I believe. It may look worse than it really is. Hard to know without pictures.
Plenty of places that will make you a new keel. I doubt you'll need one.
bp

Charlie
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Allmand 31

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 05:44:20 pm »

The first thing I'd suggest is have an experienced SAMS or NAMS surveyor take a look at the boat to assess the structural integrity. This thing may be ready to come apart in the middle.

There have to be keel bolts to hold the keel on the hull. Look in the bilge see if they are corroded away or the threade have disapeared.

If you want to spend the bucks try Mars Matal in Ontario.google  them for contact info, give them a call.These guys make keels for boat manufactrers and know what they are doing.

And finally good luck!

Charlie
arghiro
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: 31' Westerly Pentland ketch

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 02:13:13 am »

No news about how you got on then?

I would consider getting it pinned if the keel bolts are still sound. It would be a heck of a lot cheaper & probably last quite well if you don't dry out on it all the time.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length