Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 09, 2016, 04:07:04 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  What is it? (Mystery Sailboat model)
| | |-+  Help needed to identify this racing sailboat ~
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help needed to identify this racing sailboat ~  (Read 4720 times)
*AJ*
Member Emeritus

« on: January 22, 2010, 08:07:04 am »

I have been trying to identify this boat. Have been told it's a 1974 Palmer Lippencott 25, but can't find anything even closely related.

Specs: 24' 8" LOA, 10' 6" beam, fin keeled, 4' draft, flush deck, internal halyards lead through cockpit from inside, no hatch 'doors' ... only sliding hatch top, very roomy sub-cabin.

Can't find any hull number or any insignia on vessel.

Sails are manufactured by Seidelmann, New Jersey. Sailbags are marked Palmer 550.
Sails have no logo/insignia.

Any leads as to make/model would be greatly appreciated.

THNX!
*AJ*
Barney Post
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 09:01:33 am »

Wow! Has me stumped.  I guess it's not a one-off since I see sail dimension listed somewhere. The placement of the hatch leads me to believe it's intended for some kind of open ocean racing. Doesn't have the pinched stern of IOR designs of the era. Probably the Lippincott connection is worth pursuing although that may difficult.  The company hasn't built boats in many years.  I don't think any of the Lippincott brothers are still alive. Nor is Bob Seidelmann.
My guess is that someone will appear that knows all about it.
Let us know it you find out anything.

Barney Post
Charlie
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Allmand 31

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 03:06:50 pm »

If you can get the HIN I can get you the mfg name. You'll find the HIN propable on the transom upper corner stbd side. If not there look just below the rub rail on the srbd quarted at the transom. A third look all over the transom.

Charlie
*AJ*
Member Emeritus

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 08:41:40 pm »

Thanks guys for the replies!

The placement of the hatch leads me to believe it's intended for some kind of open ocean racing.

Barney ~ That would explain why the scuppers are so large for such a small vessel.
They measure about 6 inches x 4 inches. See attahed image.

If not there look just below the rub rail on the srbd quarted at the transom.

Charley ~ We scoured the transom ... it appeared clean as a whistle -- nice and smooth, with
nary a trace or 'ghost mark' of where the HIN would have been. We will check the Strbd Qrtr
and will let you know what we find. In the past, we've searched the MIC data base on the
Coast Guard site for other boats we were trying to identify -- but with all of those, we had
a valid hull number, making it a simple task to find the manufacturer.

The research continues ....

*AJ*
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 08:44:21 pm by *AJ* » Logged
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 10:39:05 am »

I could be wrong, but I don't think there was any formal manufacturers ID system in 1974. 
If the Seidelmann sails were also made in the same year, it is a very logical assumtion that there is some kind of Lippincott connection (wether they actually built them, or even imported them...) 
Both of these companies were based within 30 miles from each other.  If I'm not mistaken there are still various generations of the Lippincott family still involved with boating related businesses in the Chesapeake bay area. That's the direction I would take.  Lippincott did build 2 cruising models in reasonable numbers. Neither one looks anything like your boat. If you ever manage to get a photo the shows the general profile of this thing, I would love to see it.
Best mystery we've had in a long while. Very keen to know what you find out. 

Best of Luck.
rb
*AJ*
Member Emeritus

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 07:28:15 pm »

OK Guys .... I've sent out several e-mails to the suggested leads.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions and advice!

I have heard from Leah with the RYA in the UK -- unknown design.

I received a reply from Amy with Yachting Australia -- she too did not recognize the design, however, she did note the similarity with the Lippincott boats and suggested I contact them for any information.

I have not had a reply to my inquiries from USSailing nor MORC. I will post once I receive any information.

The moderator for the Siedelmann Owners Site stated that the boat was not a seidelmann and suggested I look harder for a hull number....

BUT

I did run across this interesting tid-bit on another site;
If I remember currectly Seidelmann was a New Jersey sail maker. In the 1970''s he produced an interesting little 25 footer. They were clearly designed as race boats and did acceptably well on the race course because they were intended as rule beaters.

So .... I'll let everyone know what I can 'dig up'

Until then ...
*AJ*
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 09:33:23 am »

I see a Palmer 550 listed with PHRF Chesapeake. (MOD version)
Rating: 219
Name of boat: "555"
Sail #: 55004
Owner: P. W. Bressler
Club listed is: RYC (this is probably Riverton Yacht Club).
Unless this is YOUR boat,  I think this is a very solid lead.
I would get a hold of one of cheif rating honchos at this organization and I bet they know something about this boat. They might tell you how to contact the owner. One would think that he/she would know something about the origins of this boat.

Here's the link: http://www.phrfchesbay.com

rb
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length