Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2016, 11:26:46 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  What is it? (Mystery Sailboat model)
| | |-+  What is this small cruiser ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is this small cruiser ?  (Read 5574 times)
Stephen
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: flying scot and one unknown type

« on: February 05, 2010, 09:15:37 am »

We bought this boat last year but would like to know the make/model. The title says it was built in 1965 but we have been unable to locate a HIN or other identifying marks.
It is 24 ft, full keel, fiberglass, 3 shrouds, forward and aft main stays. It came with a set of sails which had been resown but have an emblem which is a ship's wheel with a W in it but we do not think they are original to the boat. The previous owner told us it was a Westwind made near Seattle but a few months later said it was an Eastwind made on the East Coast. I have been unable to add attachments, site keeps timing out.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 12:06:57 pm »

We bought this boat last year but would like to know the make/model. The title says it was built in 1965 but we have been unable to locate a HIN or other identifying marks.
It is 24 ft, full keel, fiberglass, 3 shrouds, forward and aft main stays. It came with a set of sails which had been resown but have an emblem which is a ship's wheel with a W in it but we do not think they are original to the boat. The previous owner told us it was a Westwind made near Seattle but a few months later said it was an Eastwind made on the East Coast. I have been unable to add attachments, site keeps timing out.

Sorry you had a problem with that.
I just did an attachment myself and it seems to work. When you create a new message or reply to an existing message, check 'additional options' at the bottom of the page. You should see 'browse' window for attachments. 

If the file is absolutely huge, more that 4 megs, it might not work. But I've set the limit pretty high, so normally that wouldn't cause a problem.

Let me know if this helps. Your boat is probably a Paceship built by Industrial Shipping of Mahone Bay, NS.
See if any of these boats are similar to yours.
http://sailboatdata.com/admin/VIEW_BUILDER.ASP?BUILDER_ID=30

But I look forward to seeing the photos.

Regards,
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT (USA)
Sailboatdata.com
Stephen
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: flying scot and one unknown type

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 04:19:51 pm »

It has a fin keel about 3/4 length, the rudder is attached to the keel and the tiller is located forward.   It looks similar top side to the Westwind built by Industrial Shipping of Mahone Bay, NS. except for the fin keel.  Does anyone know if they made variations of the keel on the Westwind ? On the Eastwind the tiller appears to be in the wrong location and the keel does not appear to be a fin keel and the cabin is more sloped than the Westwind
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 08:05:04 pm by Stephen » Logged
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 05:19:51 pm »

It has a fin keel about 3/4 length, the rudder is attached to the keel and the tiller is located forward.   It looks similar top side to the Westwind built by Industrial Shipping of Mahone Bay, NS. except for the fin keel.  Does anyone know if they made variations of the keel on the Westwind ? On the Eastwind the tiller appears to be in the wrong location and the keel does not appear to be a fin keel and the cabin is more sloped than the Westwind

Sorry I missed this. No idea at the moment, but working on it. Does it haven any kind of hull ID or anything?

rb
Hugh17
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Seafarer 29CB

ROMA S29'

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 04:45:09 am »

Did you look for the HIN on the starboard side of the transom? If there is a HIN it will identify the manufacturer code which can be researched on the internet.

Hugh17
sunbird10201
Member Emeritus

Boat Type: Sailboat, O'DAY DS II

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 04:32:50 pm »

My guess, and it is only a "guess", is that this would be an Alberg 22 (not to be confused with the Cape Dory 22, or the Pearson Electra/Ensign, or the Sea Sprite 23). As to the lack of a HIN, those were not required until November 1972, so a 1965 boat would not have one, or at least not a builder provided one (if bought/sold in most states any time after about 1989, she might have had a state-issued HIN, but those serve only to ID the boat as-is, they are no connection to the builder or model year)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 04:39:06 pm by sunbird10201 » Logged
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 01:55:27 pm »

Can't be an Alberg 22 with that really strange looking sheer. The stern doesn't look right either.

rb
sunbird10201
Member Emeritus

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 04:51:46 pm »

Well, I only said it was a guess!
Actually, after looking up the Alberg 22 after posting my guess, I could tell that is wasn't quite the same. The rudder looks like a Typhoon or Ensign, but it certainly isn't either one of those! You are correct about that transom.
My other guess was "SOUTH COAST 23" but that seems to be a copy of the Alberg 22, s othat rules that out (definitely not a Kitiwake either). I thought GREENWICH 24, but the rudder shape doesn't match and that design has a larger transom. OH well! I tried! Quite honestly, she looks like someone took an old Pearson Ensign, modified the stern (from reverse counter to counter) and attached a different deck. If you look at the hull from the rudderpost forward (and ignore the deck?) it sure resembles an Ensign? But.........?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 05:04:11 pm by sunbird10201 » Logged
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 05:28:00 pm »

Well, I only said it was a guess!
Actually, after looking up the Alberg 22 after posting my guess, I could tell that is wasn't quite the same. The rudder looks like a Typhoon or Ensign, but it certainly isn't either one of those! You are correct about that transom.
My other guess was "SOUTH COAST 23" but that seems to be a copy of the Alberg 22, s othat rules that out (definitely not a Kitiwake either). I thought GREENWICH 24, but the rudder shape doesn't match and that design has a larger transom. OH well! I tried! Quite honestly, she looks like someone took an old Pearson Ensign, modified the stern (from reverse counter to counter) and attached a different deck. If you look at the hull from the rudderpost forward (and ignore the deck?) it sure resembles an Ensign? But.........?
I appreciate that you took a stab at it. Even if I don't think your initial guess was right.
All your comments seem, to me, 'on the mark'.  It could well be a 'splashed' copy of something unknown, but with a number of ill advised modifications.  It certainly has me stumped.

rb
sunbird10201
Member Emeritus

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 12:08:19 am »

Heck, even I'm 99% sure that my initial guess was wrong!

There are some really weird hybrids out there, where someone took the hull of one boat and added the deck of another. Some work out and look fine, I  read about a guy here in Massachusetts that rebuilt a burned out Dufour 27 by replacing hte original deck with one from a Scampi 30, after trimming the deck and fitting it in place it actually improved the look of the boat. But not all of these homemade hybrids work out that well.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length