Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2016, 03:07:40 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  New Information, Corrections, Omissions etc.
| | |-+  Blue Buoy Del Rey 50
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blue Buoy Del Rey 50  (Read 6455 times)
BBY USA
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Blue Buoy Del Rey 50

« on: February 19, 2010, 10:32:21 pm »

You mention Blue Buoy Yachts building as a Del Ray 24-50. I believe you wanted Del Rey. Blue Buoy Yachts built a Del Rey 24 and a Del Rey 50.

The Del Rey 50 was built by Blue Buoy Yacht Corp in cooperation with San Pedro Boat Works. All the hulls were hand laid in Torrance, California and then trucked down the road to San Pedro Boat Works for outfitting and splashing. The hulls laid-up using the engineering principle that thicker is better. As such. all the Del Rey 50's were built with 1.5" thick glass at the waterline and a keel design that would crush most anything that got it it's way.

Paul Blue (Blue Buoy Yachts) bought old molds from Cal Yacht and a few others and put a waterline flush deck on them with his own molded interior.  That gave them a much larger interior without loss of any sailing characteristics.  Many naval architects realized that you get no more windage when you move the cabin sides to the gunnels but heaps more room down below .  The trick however is to make it look good and Paul only saw the profit margin. To be fair they were on the same level as most production boats. Paul's true name was Paul Goldstein ( the Capitan Ahab white beard was just part of the act ) He was more like a used car salesmen.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 09:43:41 pm by BBY USA » Logged
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 05:47:20 am »

You mention Blue Bouy Yachts building as a Del Ray 24-50. I belive you wanted Del Rey.

I have Del Rey 50 which can be seen on my blog.

www.sv-trim.com

Thanks for pointing out the error. Correction made.
Had a look at your blog.  Looks great.
You don't by any chance have something about the del REY 50 that I could use?  Don't know a thing about them. It must be a somewhat rare model?
At any rate, best of luck with your vayages.

Regards,
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT
sailboatdata.com
BBY USA
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 08:49:02 pm »

In the mid 1970's along came two men (Gibb Associates) and they had a yacht design and business proposition for Paul. The short story is that all went well till one weekend Heckle and Jeckle along with friends decided to surprise Paul by putting the scroll work and cover board into the mold. When Paul came in that Monday and saw the scroll work and cover board in UPSIDE DOWN he flipped out and told Gibbs that all bets were off.  Many court cases transpired and a good yacht company failed due to a bit of scroll work and an upside down cover board.

In 1984 one of the Gibbs died of aids  (many say he died of pulmonary fibrosis) and sold the boat to a Molly Brittan. As to the designer, I met Molly Brittan and I got to see a set of original lines with Edward DeLong as the navel architect.

Trim was #3 and Recluse was # 16 out of the mold.  There was one more that was laid up while Paul owned it and in 1981 Blue Buoy Yacht went tits up and sold the molds at the Bankruptcy sale.  I have seen a splash off from the original with no cover board or scroll work but never saw the mold. So, from my count, there were a total of seventeen Del Rey 50s built between 1975 and 1981.

The other vessel besides Trim that has a flush deck on it's original lines is "Brittany" haul # 1 owned by Molly F Brittan back in 1992 and was last seen leaving Angles Gate on a south by south west course.

S/V Brittany is now owned by Edward Cassidy in Bryson City NC, so I'm assuming Molly & Jerry Brittan sailed it through Panama to the East Coast where they sold it.

Some of the names I know of:

Hull            Name                   Presently Moored
#1             Brittany                 (North Carolina)
#2             Blue Yonder           (North Carolina)
#3             Trim                      (Australia)
#16            Recluse                 (Maui, Hawaii)
                  Sawasawa             (Panama)
                  Mistique                (England)
#17            Loana                    (Honolulu, Hawaii)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 09:44:18 pm by BBY USA » Logged
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 10:09:59 am »

An interesting story and thanks for posting it.
A couple of questions though.
Could you elaborate on the 'cover board' that resulted in a law suit. For me, there is something missing.
I'm having trouble with original blog link, even though I didn't before.
I'm wondering how I thought that William Crealock was the designer.
(You are saying the it should be credited to Edward DeLong?)
Do you happen to have a photo of the Del Rey 50.  I know I've seen one but I can't seem to locate it any more.

Thanks again BBY USA.

Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
BBY USA
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 10:54:03 pm »

I have spoken to one of the Del Rey owners who claims to have confirmed with William Crealock before his passing that he did in fact work with Paul Blue on the Del Rey 50 hull design. I am purely guessing that Delong was involved in the design work done on the Pilothouse versions of the Del Rey.

If you look at the Cabo Rico 45/47 hull, you will see many similarities with the Del Rey 50.
craigster
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 10:27:42 pm »

FYI, I worked for Paul Blue and built many of the Del Reys. There was a Del Rey 31 in addition to the 24 and 50. The 31 is a scaled up version of the 24 with an aft cabin. The 50 foot hulls were built before 1975 as I was building them when I started there in 1973. Initially Paul built only hulls for the 50 footer and the owners were expect to finish them, many languished for years. I know some details of the hulls if anyone is interested.

The Del Rey 24's and 31's were completed in the shop in Torrance, CA. Later Paul bought the rights to the Seaquest 26 and built a few of them. We build many, many sabots both Naples and Winard as well as the Blue Buoy 10 and Blue Buoy 16.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 11:16:42 pm by craigster » Logged
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 08:14:44 am »

FYI, I worked for Paul Blue and built many of the Del Reys. There was a Del Rey 31 in addition to the 24 and 50. The 31 is a scaled up version of the 24 with an aft cabin. The 50 foot hulls were built before 1975 as I was building them when I started there in 1973. Initially Paul built only hulls for the 50 footer and the owners were expect to finish them, many languished for years. I know some details of the hulls if anyone is interested.

The Del Rey 24's and 31's were completed in the shop in Torrance, CA. Later Paul bought the rights to the Seaquest 26 and built a few of them. We build many, many sabots both Naples and Winard as well as the Blue Buoy 10 and Blue Buoy 16.

Anything you have is greatly appreciated. Is there anywhere I might find some documentation, brochures etc for some of these yachts?  What is a Seaquest 26?  (There was one built in Australia but I doubt it's the same.)  Not familiar with a Winard Sabot.

Regards
Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length