Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 07, 2016, 07:03:51 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  Information Wanted
| | |-+  Boat selection advice.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Boat selection advice.  (Read 2795 times)
dabbe
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Laser

« on: March 25, 2010, 02:14:52 pm »

Hi all,    I currently have a Laser, but am looking for a larger keel boat that is easier to move around in and can sit on a mooring for the summer.  I like to sail fast and will only do day sailing so a larger Laser that is more forgiving is what I am after. I will sail single handed 50% of the time and have sailed a Tempest and Star, so that is the type of boat I am thinking about. My thoughts are Tempest, Yngling, Etchell and Soling.

Does anyone have advice on these boats or any other suggestions?  Thanks in advance for any help.
SAGA
Trimmer

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 09:14:59 pm »

Hi all,    I currently have a Laser, but am looking for a larger keel boat that is easier to move around in and can sit on a mooring for the summer.  I like to sail fast and will only do day sailing so a larger Laser that is more forgiving is what I am after. I will sail single handed 50% of the time and have sailed a Tempest and Star, so that is the type of boat I am thinking about. My thoughts are Tempest, Yngling, Etchell and Soling.

Does anyone have advice on these boats or any other suggestions?  Thanks in advance for any help.

Ever think of a cat boat?

http://www.areyspondboatyard.com/

SAGA
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 04:07:34 pm »

You left out the most important factor:
Namely, how much do you want to spend!

You certainly wouldn't want a Star for single handing in any kind of breeze.  All the others that you name seem great for performance, depending on your saiing experience. I'm sure you could find a 'past it's prime for racing' Soling or Etchells class boat for a very reasonable price. For most boats of this type, you want to thoroughly check the condition of the laminate, especially the cored decks.
But, of course, there are many other suitable alternatives, depending how much you want to spend.

rb
sailboatdata.com
dabbe
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Laser

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 08:17:13 pm »

I would like to spend $15,000 or less. I am finding it a challenge to find out about what boats might be good options. And I haven't found many used boats for sale of the types I have listed. Is there a good source of information, and for used boats for sale for sailboats?
Barney Post
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 11:42:25 am »

I would like to spend $15,000 or less. I am finding it a challenge to find out about what boats might be good options. And I haven't found many used boats for sale of the types I have listed. Is there a good source of information, and for used boats for sale for sailboats?
A lot of people would find this kind of 'challenge' enjoyable! Granted, it can be an incredible waste of time. And everyone has their own opions abou what you 'should' get.     It's a buyers market right now for boats, especially in that price range.  All the class associations for the boats that you have mentioned are listed here.  Say you're interested in a used Etchells, try the Etchells site, etc. .
For example, and new racing model Etchells might cost more than $50,000 today.  But you could find an older one that may not be a competive racer, but still in good condition for under $5000 EASY.
Probably the best place to find bargains in classes like this is at the local fleet level. So if there is one near you, thats where I would start. You just need to decide, do I want a Mustang, or do I want a Camaro.
Best of luck.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length